firewire

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

Hi
I'm reinstalling XP home, will this present any problems with Microsoft?
When I first installed XP I was premitted to register online; will I be able
to do the same on a reinstallation? Will I have any problems activating?
Thanks.

firewire wrote:
> Hi
> I'm reinstalling XP home, will this present any problems with Microsoft?
> When I first installed XP I was premitted to register online; will I be able
> to do the same on a reinstallation? Will I have any problems activating?
> Thanks.

Registration is, and always has been, entirely optional, so you needn't
concern yourself with it.

There's no limit to the number of times you can reinstall and
activate the same WinXP license on the same PC. If you have a retail
license, there's no limit to the number of times you can remove it from
one PC and install it on another. Nor is there ever a charge. Nor does
a Product Key (so long as it's not an evaluation license) ever expire.
If it's been more than 120 days since you last activated that specific
Product Key, you'll most likely be able to activate via the Internet
without problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute
phone call.

Here are the facts pertaining to activation:

Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

Windows Product Activation (WPA)
http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Hi,

If you've already registered, there is no need to reregister. There was no
requirement to do so in the first place. Only activation is necessary, and
there is no reason you cannot reactivate on the same system.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone