Your question

Noisy Fan Problem

Last response: in Overclocking
December 10, 2009 8:11:56 PM

My neighbour below me has been complaining about my computer fan my pc is:-

Emachines 8230 (reconditioned)

Intel D915GAG Motherboard my processor is

Quote:
the following is from using CPUZ software hope you can make more sense of it than i can:-

CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 1 Cores - 2 Threads
CPU PSN : Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz
CPU EXT : MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3
CPUID : F.3.4 / Extended : F.3
CPU Cache : L1 : 12 / 16 KB - L2 : 1024 KB
Core : Prescott (90 nm) / Stepping : D0
Freq : 2999.98 MHz (200 * 15)
MB Brand : Intel
MB Model : D915GAG
NB : Intel i915P/i915G rev B1
SB : Intel 82801FB (ICH6) rev 03
GPU1 Type : RADEON X300 Series
GPU2 Type : RADEON X300 Series Secondary
DirectX Version : 9.0c
RAM : 2560 MB DDR Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 200 MHz (1:1) @ 3-3-3-8
Slot 1 : 1024MB (3200)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Kingston
Slot 2 : 256MB (3200)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : Samsung
Slot 3 : 1024MB (3200)
Slot 3 Manufacturer : Kingston
Slot 4 : 256MB (3200)
Slot 4 Manufacturer : Samsung

the procsssor is 3 gig Intel Pentium 4 HT (hyperthreading) its 2 processors

i just installed 2 x 1 gb ram today bought them from overclockers; i assume i installed in correct slots, but it is registering the full amount ??

the processor fan has this large black cone/tube thing on it which points to the side there is no case fan, the noise is coming from this fan, this link has identical pics of my pc http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=82562 the fan just seam to speed up for no reason and while i am doing something but not always, i thought maybe its not getting enough air i really don't know - i am just guessing here.

Seeing as i added new ram 2.5 gig, it doesn't seam to make no difference to the issue, i thought maybe the small vents at the bottom of the case (the one where the side comes off) is the culprit as the cone sits above this area and not directly opposite the vent slits, but then again its speeding up for no reason so i really don't know whats the problem.

Also i do have an occasional knocking type sound coming from the Power supply unit i can see a hefty amount of dust, i did use a can of compressed air in the whole box which i assume helped a bit overall but its a bit tricky to get to the power supply.

someone suggested installing a case fan but there's no way to add one without cuting out the holes (see picture on website above), but i saw this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=28682 what's do people think about this.

hope someone can help me solve my problem.

p.s. i have no idea how hot it runs (temp) i dont know how to find this out, before i forget when i run a game i would say java it speeds up on this, don't know why, but even if i just have a plain website open and its been idle for some time it will just spontaneously speed up for a few mins and then calm down again. also i read somewhere that perhaps the processor runs hot and thats why its speeding up so much and needs the cone thing??

Thanks in advance.

More about : noisy fan problem

December 12, 2009 12:38:29 PM

use "speedfan" to find out the temps. its free just google it. also, a possibility is that the thermal stuff in between the cpu and heatsink has reached the end of its useful life. buy arctic silver 5, and follow the instructions on the website. the black tube that leads to the cpu fan is so that the fan sucks cold air from the outside to the heatsink, instead of already warm air from the case. its helpful, just leave it. also while your installing as5, take the heatsink out and do a really good job with compressed air.
December 12, 2009 8:35:33 PM

ok i installed speedfan how do i use it??
Related resources
December 12, 2009 8:38:59 PM

you say the cone thing is to suck in cold air so could i take off the side panel and leave it open to reduce the noise??

would using the case fan as per the link i provided help??
December 12, 2009 11:09:46 PM

dont take the side panel off in an effort to help cooling. itll screw up the airflow, so the fans will just blow the room air around instead of the hot air out of the case

so when you open speedfan, the first page you should get is a page with your cpu usage and in the right-hand middle of the little speedfan window are the temps. blue arrow means cooler than usual, green thingy means temps ok and red arrow or flame is OK it doesnt mean its gonna catch on fire, it just means that its higher than average but its nothing to worry about. note that speedfan can only rad temps and fan speeds if your mobo supports it. its an emachines, so if you dont see any temperatures well then ur mobo doesnt support it.
December 13, 2009 9:41:58 AM

so the current reads are

CPU 54F (Red Flame)
Internal temp 45c Green Tick & Sometimes Red Arrow pointing upwards when its lower temperature
Remove Temp 45c Green Tick same as above red arrow thing.
HD0 37c Blue Arrow

Fan 1 2011RPM

nothing on other fans.

the above readings are only for it in normal QUIET operation not when its sped up!!

---

what does the automatic fan speed tick box do?

what about using that case fan thing i posted the link for it, you haven't commented on that??

a b à CPUs
December 13, 2009 10:31:04 AM

the cpu dictates how fast the fan runs for the cpu hsf, if its hot it will spin up resulting in more noise

dust can also set this off as the cpu is reporting high temps and same deal - fights back with the fan and hence more noise

perhaps an aftermarket cpu cooler is in order if noise is that bad, but first dust it out and replace the thermal paste and see what effect that has.
December 13, 2009 5:48:50 PM

aftermarket cpu cooler - i dont understand this??
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 156 K Overclocking
December 13, 2009 6:05:47 PM

CPU vendors provide a "stock" cooler with the units just like your car has a stock exhaust, fuel delivery system, suspension system, etc. If you want to increase the performance of your car, you'd buy a better exhaust system, a better fuel or a better suspension system.

Same deal....you want to increase the performance of your CPU, one of the most effective things you can do is to buy a better heat sink. The word "aftermarket" is derived from some manufacturer making a non stock part "after" something was out on the "market".
December 13, 2009 6:34:12 PM

hmm i am not sure what to buy, any suggestions??
December 13, 2009 9:58:54 PM

thanks for the suggestion but i dont know what i am supposed to pick whether its big enough, whether it should point to the vent etc???
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
December 13, 2009 10:23:57 PM

You just have to learn the stuff by reading, doing, playing with your PC. It's something you learn over months and years of just doing it and making it into a hobby that lasts a lifetime. I been playing with the insides of PCs since ohh 1992? You can do it, just use the link I gave you and start reading reading, participating in forums, etc.

So, good luck, cya in a day or two once you spent at least a few hours at the link I gave you. Ultimately it's up to you to learn.
December 13, 2009 10:27:32 PM

lol i dont have the time to read up on it i dont have that much knowledge of computers i'm not technically minded person, not really something i want to get into, i just want to sort out my problem, can you just suggest a heatsink or whatever it is your pointing me to?
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
December 13, 2009 11:23:45 PM

Your problem is you don't know enough to do it on your own and don't want to learn to do it. If you don't then you'll have to pay someone who will.

We help people here, not hold their hand. There is a Best Buy near you? Or a small retail store? Have them install a good cooler. I'm sure it will be less than $100 with labor.
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2009 11:47:52 PM

I think that you are making the problem to complicate. The reason your neighbour can hear the fan is because of low frequency vibrations from the fan travelling through the floor. The solution is to isolate the computer from the floor by putting it on a wooden board on top of polystyrene foam. I had the same problem at my house and this cured the problem.
December 14, 2009 10:49:36 AM

pjmelect said:
I think that you are making the problem to complicate. The reason your neighbour can hear the fan is because of low frequency vibrations from the fan travelling through the floor. The solution is to isolate the computer from the floor by putting it on a wooden board on top of polystyrene foam. I had the same problem at my house and this cured the problem.

i dont about about it being complicated but beleive me it is REALLY loud when it speeds up to it's maximum its horrendous anyway your suggestion is interesting, i have new thick pile carpet i'll try that and see if it helps

as for the other comment, all i was asking for was suggestion i dont have the ability to understand computers in the way you ask that is why i come to forums for help, computers are not a five min thing to understand i dont have the time and to be honest i am not the type of person to have patience to learn & understand it either i am not technically minded, that's just who i am.
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2009 12:12:33 AM

The reason I said put it on a wooden board is that if you put the computer on a thick pile carpet it can block up the air intake vent which is on the bottom of the computers front panel.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2009 12:46:07 AM

@OP: I'm not trying to be rude or anything but see if you can find a friend/neighbor or some one else who knows quite a bit about PCs. Right now you do not have the basic knowledge required. You are more likely to end up messing things with your current lack of knowledge. My recommendation is to let some one else fix this problem for you,even if cost you a bit ($5-10, with out parts). Just make sure that "some one else" is a trust worthy person and can be held accountable.
December 15, 2009 2:44:03 AM

this is ridiculous
im not sure what the automatic fan speed box in speed fan does.
you should really just take the hsf off, clean it off w. compressed air, and use artic silver 5, following the instructions on the website! if that doesnt help you, then let us know, but till then goodbye. if youve already tried those steps, then just buy a new cooler/fan and install it yourself.
heres how you replave a heatsink:
1)unplug all cables from back of PC
2)take off old heatsink
3)install thermal paste, but dont use the thermal pad that comes wit hthe heatsinkm use as5.
4)hook uo the fan connecotr
5)eat it
6)put the PC back together
dont hold me liable if these instructions end up in you breaking your PC but their good enough
its an emachines, of course it does wierd things!
emachines are lousy
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2009 9:35:39 PM

I actually have the same computer and I agree the fan is very noisy and speeds up for no reason even though the temperatures are very low. To reduce the speed of the fan I use speedfan and I set the speed02 box to 70% this reduces the speed of the fan while still keeping the processor adequately cool.
!