Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Setup a RAID0, now existing boot drive wont boot

Last response: in Storage
February 14, 2010 11:17:29 PM

Hi guys,

Long time reader, first time poster :) 

I just setup a RAID0 on a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4 with 2x 74GB Raptors. Windows XP Pro is installed on a single Samsung 500gb drive and has been fine...but since the RAID was setup it bluescreens quickly, too quick to read, and reboots, and loops. I promptly unplugged the drives in the RAID and switched RAID off in BIOS, but still getting the same issue. Safemode etc does the same thing.

Any idea whats happened?

I've taken a full image of the boot drive before hand, so should I just attempt to restore this to the RAID and see if that goes fine...since that was my original plan. (RAID for boot, 500gb converted to storage drive.)

Thanks in advance :) 
a b G Storage
February 14, 2010 11:54:35 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome as poster.

When you create a RAID array, you need install the OS again.
m
l
February 15, 2010 12:00:26 AM

Thanks for your reply. I cant revert back to my old single drive setup, might need to go over my BIOS settings again.

So even with a full image to restore from, I cant restore a single-drive-OS install to a RAID drive?

This puts a large hole in my plans lol.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
February 15, 2010 12:27:29 AM

Hi again

Unplug your Velociraptors, go to the BIOS and change the HDD options to IDE, after try to boot. If the boot fails, try this:

Open "System Recovery Options" on the repair disk, or OS disk.
Open up the Command Prompt.Try typing the following commands in order:

1- bootrec /fixmbr and hit enter
2- bootrec /fixboot and hit enter
3- bootrec /rebuildbdc and hit enter

Reboot the PC and try to boot. Finally plug the velociraptors again.
February 21, 2010 11:08:48 PM

Thanks for your help Saint19, I've since found out a mosfet on my mobo was faulty (actually shot out flames!) so I have replaced the board with a new one and some DDR3 ram, so will go through this again, hopefully not interrupted by a fire this time :)  I'll report back with how I go.

Thanks again.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 21, 2010 11:15:56 PM

Good for you. Any time, that's why we are here.
m
l
February 21, 2010 11:41:57 PM

Best answer selected by proph3t.
m
l
February 22, 2010 2:05:07 AM

ok....well after a few frustrating hours...I have successfully imaged the original non-RAID OS partition onto my RAID0 using ShadowProtect, and got the expected reboot when getting to the XP screen, so attempted to boot off the XP install CD and do a repair, but of course it couldnt see my lovely new RAID0, and required the drivers from a floppy drive, which I dont have. I tried creating a custom install CD using nLite which included the drivers, but it threw too many errors, so I have given up, and have taken the plung to install Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

I'm a Microsoft partner, so may aswell use the free copy I get. I use the 32bit version on my laptop and its been going great.

Least this way I can start fresh and enjoy my 8gb of RAM on order, and DirectX 11 finally. Probably for the best...except of course spending hours now reinstalling all my massive games :) 

Thanks heaps for your help Saint, I'm sure if you were in the room here it would be fixed already lol :)  You're a champion
m
l
!