Core i7 920 2.66 GHz
Asus P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58
Corsair XMS3 3GB (3x1) DDR3 1333
WD Caviar Black 500GB 7200 SATA
Antec NeoPower 650W Blue
EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked
LG 22x DVD+-R Burner with LightScribe SATA
Vista 64 Bit Home Premium

My goal with this set up is to give me something that will be good for games and also future proof.
I plan on overclocking the cpu to 3.0 GHz and my question with that is do you think I will need to use an after market heat sink? Also what are your thoughts/suggestions on the other parts I have selected. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

More about : pls build

December 4, 2008 12:31:23 AM

I dont think you will get any complaints from here... possibly some more RAM if you can afford it.

You will be able to get it to 3ghz without third party cooler, but it would be advised to keep temps lower.
December 4, 2008 2:31:36 AM

If you are using 64bit system, you'd better use 2*2GB or 3*2GB RAM.
Related resources
December 4, 2008 5:47:45 AM

Assume you didn't spend the $$$$$ yet.

If you are really set on those brand names, and if money is no object, then it's not bad. It's a money pit. Not the smarter choice.

I would reconsider the CPU especially re TLB error, plus it's very high on power consume TDP at a massive 130 watts and if you oclok that gets worse fast !!!.
So the power supply should be 1000w. esp.with the nvid 260 which is also a power hungry.

The mobo is also supposed to be really pricey. x58 is req for that cpu. It's all new.

Future proof - nice idea - what upgrade possibilities does it offer and if they admitted, denied, who knows what with the TLB-error is a major influence on virtualization, then you have trouble. They don't want you to know that - scary.

There are also some nasty warnings about ram limits re oclox - and if you exceed the limits, the warning has been issued, poof, and no warranty cos you were warned. Most of this, is not mentioned often. Additionally i7 is known as not the best cpu for gaming.

This is also the first real quad that brand. So it has a lot of hype and no real track record. They have almost copied amd quad, at least, similar features.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but like I said if money is no object, who cares.

I am planning a system also and I like what happens with Phenom II supposed to oclock to 4 gig on air, cheaper, can use on exist mobos initially, but the real one comes out in Feb on new socket AM3 w either ddr2 or ddr3, depends on the mobo. Amd cpu's are true quad this is 2nd generation much improved, very oclox, superior virtualization, are well past any TLB issue, can use back compatible with am2+ socket and cheap ddr2 or goto am3 and use ddr3 1600 so more headroom for oclox too. or use the spec ddr3-1333. There's a demo where it clox to 6.3 gigas on LN2.
Plus you can do the platform approach, with HD4870 vid, and an 790FX mobo made for serious oclockkers. Srill need a big pow supply but Phenom II is far lower power consume and TDP also lower.
But if you want to oclok and you use a crossfire setup then that's big pow supply. mimimum 700w to 1000w.
This 2nd gen Phenom is pretty serious - not avail until early 2009.
CPU will be about mid-$300's. Get a Black Edition = unlocked multiplier = ez oclox. Mobo cost about 150-200ish. ram lots of options. due to dual memory controllers and choiice of ddr 2 or ddr3.
Oh yeh, amd64 is the reason that 64bit windoze exists - amd athlons were all 64 bit since 2002 ish. long time experience. - and win 64bit is what you need to use more than 4 gig of ram - actually the win32bit limit is 3.2 gigs even if you have a ton if it !!!!
So unless you want to stroke your e-penis cos you bought some i7, I think you need to reconsider. Cos others will run circles in games. poor you in the future. It's been demo'd on Crysis oclocked.

Note - don't believe me - do your dam homework b4 you spend like a fool. The money you save put into PSU and 2nd vidcard. You cab use nvidia if you like - it all PCI-x x2 slots anyway. I would with ati - see best video on this homepage.

The spinners will deny all I say - watch. Well some might agree.

enjoy your research - google it. it's worth the effort. gather your own evidence like in CSI :)  ALL ELSE IS CLEVER MARKETING. (spin)
Peace.
sigh
December 5, 2008 1:10:33 AM

sighQ2 said:
Assume you didn't spend the $$$$$ yet.

If you are really set on those brand names, and if money is no object, then it's not bad. It's a money pit. Not the smarter choice.

I would reconsider the CPU especially re TLB error, plus it's very high on power consume TDP at a massive 130 watts and if you oclok that gets worse fast !!!.
So the power supply should be 1000w. esp.with the nvid 260 which is also a power hungry.

The mobo is also supposed to be really pricey. x58 is req for that cpu. It's all new.

Future proof - nice idea - what upgrade possibilities does it offer and if they admitted, denied, who knows what with the TLB-error is a major influence on virtualization, then you have trouble. They don't want you to know that - scary.

There are also some nasty warnings about ram limits re oclox - and if you exceed the limits, the warning has been issued, poof, and no warranty cos you were warned. Most of this, is not mentioned often. Additionally i7 is known as not the best cpu for gaming.

This is also the first real quad that brand. So it has a lot of hype and no real track record. They have almost copied amd quad, at least, similar features.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but like I said if money is no object, who cares.

I am planning a system also and I like what happens with Phenom II supposed to oclock to 4 gig on air, cheaper, can use on exist mobos initially, but the real one comes out in Feb on new socket AM3 w either ddr2 or ddr3, depends on the mobo. Amd cpu's are true quad this is 2nd generation much improved, very oclox, superior virtualization, are well past any TLB issue, can use back compatible with am2+ socket and cheap ddr2 or goto am3 and use ddr3 1600 so more headroom for oclox too. or use the spec ddr3-1333. There's a demo where it clox to 6.3 gigas on LN2.
Plus you can do the platform approach, with HD4870 vid, and an 790FX mobo made for serious oclockkers. Srill need a big pow supply but Phenom II is far lower power consume and TDP also lower.
But if you want to oclok and you use a crossfire setup then that's big pow supply. mimimum 700w to 1000w.
This 2nd gen Phenom is pretty serious - not avail until early 2009.
CPU will be about mid-$300's. Get a Black Edition = unlocked multiplier = ez oclox. Mobo cost about 150-200ish. ram lots of options. due to dual memory controllers and choiice of ddr 2 or ddr3.
Oh yeh, amd64 is the reason that 64bit windoze exists - amd athlons were all 64 bit since 2002 ish. long time experience. - and win 64bit is what you need to use more than 4 gig of ram - actually the win32bit limit is 3.2 gigs even if you have a ton if it !!!!
So unless you want to stroke your e-penis cos you bought some i7, I think you need to reconsider. Cos others will run circles in games. poor you in the future. It's been demo'd on Crysis oclocked.

Note - don't believe me - do your dam homework b4 you spend like a fool. The money you save put into PSU and 2nd vidcard. You cab use nvidia if you like - it all PCI-x x2 slots anyway. I would with ati - see best video on this homepage.

The spinners will deny all I say - watch. Well some might agree.

enjoy your research - google it. it's worth the effort. gather your own evidence like in CSI :)  ALL ELSE IS CLEVER MARKETING. (spin)
Peace.
sigh

HAHA, sounds very fanboish to me haha

For starters, the TLB issue is not as bad as then Phenom (not that the Phenom was even that bad) reported the problem has already been fixed worst case scenario you might have to do a BIOS flash on your mainboard.
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/10736/no_tlb_bug_in_core_i7_after_all/index.html

RAM warnings are for running the voltage on DDR3 dimms above 1.65v considering G.Skill have already released DDR3 Triple channel kit at 2000mhz with 1.6-1.65v this is not an issue with extreme frequencies.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/G-Skill-Pi-Black-DDR3,6649.html

130w is MAX TDP which if hit is went the CPU will start to throttle to bring itself inside this envelope (this can be disabled on all x58 mobos ive seen including intels own). Considering all 3 i7's are at 130w Max TDP one would come to the conclusion that a 920 running at 600mhz slower than the flagship is significantly under the 130w TDP envelope. Current reviews have shown the 920 getting to 3.8-4ghz easily on air cooling which is close to a 50% overclock. Reviews also shows comparible power draw when compared to previous intel quads (qxxxx), and in some cases idle power draw is lower than in dual cores (exxxx)
http://www.techspot.com/review/124-intel-core-i7-920-940-965/page13.html

Gaming wise i7 isnt known for "not the best CPU for gaming" its more known as "not increasing gaming speed by alot over previous generation" however, there are reviews around showing Tri-SLI i7 rigs having good performance increases over the Qxxx intels at high resolutions (only reason you run SLI). Right here on TOMS looks at Tri SLI on i7 vs QX9770 vs Phenom
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-gaming,2061-11.html

1000w PSU for one GPU? are you serious... the GTX260 uses ~136w at full load http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354 The Corsair HX1000w will run TRISLI GTX280's without a hitch. Sure there are better PSU's around then the one chosen by OP, but its not a bad choice by a long way for a build like this.

Im sure if OP wanted to run SLI he would have stated, and the fact that on a 1680x1050 you wont nice huge gains in SLI compared to single gpu.

And to think all i did was a google search like you said ;) 

December 5, 2008 11:08:43 AM

I like the look of your spec. Go with it mate. At least with the new socket CPU you have always got head room to upgrade if necessary. All looks good however I do agree a bit more RAM would be nice but not essential.
December 5, 2008 6:33:58 PM

Gotta love advertising.

a b à CPUs
December 5, 2008 7:07:10 PM

thats a hell of a build brother... although i would highly suggest getting more ram. and the 260? whats with the 260 lol? 4850 brother!
December 5, 2008 9:54:09 PM

Quote:
AMD did not stop with a bios fix.

They killed those 9x00 models and released all new 9x50 models

But AMD did not recall, or offer to replace, existing 9x00 CPUs with 9x50 CPUs, despite the fact that the BIOS fix cut performance. Explain?

Quote:
Cos others will run circles in games.

Nothing at present runs circles around the i7 in gaming. I surely don't expect Phenom II to, either.

Quote:
I would reconsider the CPU especially re TLB error

As I explained at length, there is no evidence of performance-sapping or crash-inducing TLB errors in legitimate retail samples... please stop "spinning" this to say there is.

Quote:
plus it's very high on power consume TDP at a massive 130 watts and if you oclok that gets worse fast !!!

i7 is very efficient. It only draws so much power when you take advantage of the scaling - up to 8 threads. Phenom II may not reach i7 peak power consumption, but Phenom II also won't let you run past 4 simultaneous threads... and is slower based on preliminary benches. If you run your i7 with 4 threads, it doesn't use that much power, either.

Quote:

Or you could wait till next summer for cheap P55 boards and budget i7's. After all, you just asked someone to wait till next January or possibly later for some PII's, when existing Yorkfields perform around the same and are reasonably cheap.

Quote:
I plan on overclocking the cpu to 3.0 GHz and my question with that is do you think I will need to use an after market heat sink?

I think stock should be good for 3.0 GHz. It's a mild overclock. Aftermarket 1366 heatsinks are a bit limited right now, but some present choices are mentioned here and at various other forums - e.g., http://forums.rampantspeculation.com/showthread.php?p=2...

Also, the system seems well rounded for Vista 32-bit. 64-bit is unnecessary in that configuration, though upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit necessitates a reinstallation.
!