Copying Files & Folders to a CD

I am trying to copy files and folders to a CD. Windows XP Help tells me to
highlight the files and folders I want to copy, then use the Files and
Folders Tasks command to copy the selected items to the CD. I don't have
this command on my Menu bar, and can't find it, or Pictures Tasks anywhere!
Can anyone help me with this? Is there a file I can download, or reinstall
from the Windows XP CD?

Also, am I using the correct kind of CD? I'm using CD-R.

Thanking everyone in advance.

Spikeybear86
2 answers Last reply
More about copying files folders

    1. Open XP's "Help and Support Center".
    2. Type: CD RECORDING in the Search box, hit ENTER.
    3. Click on "Copy files and folders to a CD".

    Description of CD-R and CD-RW recording in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279157

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Spikeybear86" wrote:

    | I am trying to copy files and folders to a CD. Windows XP Help tells me to
    | highlight the files and folders I want to copy, then use the Files and
    | Folders Tasks command to copy the selected items to the CD. I don't have
    | this command on my Menu bar, and can't find it, or Pictures Tasks anywhere!
    | Can anyone help me with this? Is there a file I can download, or reinstall
    | from the Windows XP CD?
    |
    | Also, am I using the correct kind of CD? I'm using CD-R.
    |
    | Thanking everyone in advance.
    |
    | Spikeybear86

    Hi,

    Is there a third party CD recording program (Nero, Roxio, or other)
    installed? If so, then you should be using it to write to disk rather than
    the native WinXP writing software. What you are seeing is common when other
    programs are installed, as they disable the native imapi burning service, so
    the options in explorer are not available.

    If no other software is installed, click start/run and type cmd, then click
    ok. From the prompt, run:

    net start imapi

    This should start the necessary burning service. You can run services.msc
    and set this service to startup automatically if it is disabled, however do
    not do this if other burning software is installed. By design, this service
    should be disabled to prevent conflict if other software is on the system.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Spikeybear86" <Spikeybear86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to copy files and folders to a CD. Windows XP Help tells me to
    > highlight the files and folders I want to copy, then use the Files and
    > Folders Tasks command to copy the selected items to the CD. I don't have
    > this command on my Menu bar, and can't find it, or Pictures Tasks
    > anywhere!
    > Can anyone help me with this? Is there a file I can download, or
    > reinstall
    > from the Windows XP CD?
    >
    > Also, am I using the correct kind of CD? I'm using CD-R.
    >
    > Thanking everyone in advance.
    >
    > Spikeybear86

Command Prompt CD-Rom Windows XP