Sign in with
Your question
Closed

High Definition CRT Monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 8, 2008 12:04:01 PM

I want a High Definition (HD) CRT computer monitor.

I am looking at some video cards that require the monitor that is being used to support HD. And also looking into getting a CRT, for gaming, higher resolution, and arguably better picture quality. I want it to be able to be displayed at super high resolutions of 1900*1400 and up.

Do CRT's like this exist? and if so which ones?
October 8, 2008 12:25:12 PM

I like CRTs in general. They give really good color and erformance. From what I have seen from manufacturers web-sites, the CRT is near dead.

RIP for CRT... <<< hope I'm wrong, though.
October 8, 2008 1:14:06 PM

philc said:
I want it to be able to be displayed at super high resolutions of 1900*1400 and up.

Do CRT's like this exist? and if so which ones?

Sure they do.
It is called a 24" LCD :kaola: 

Take a good look at Dell's 2408 for a high resolution (1920x1200) SPVA display.
Related resources
October 8, 2008 1:49:02 PM

120hz HDTV FTW.

Honestly, like the cat said, CRTs are pretty much dead. After I got my first lcd I know I never wanted to go back. . .
October 8, 2008 2:02:21 PM

Do you remember the times when people were sceptical about mice without balls?

Times change and I betcha it'll be hard to see a difference between a CRT monitor and a modern good quality LCD monitor. For a normal person that is of course...
October 8, 2008 2:17:25 PM

Yeah, mice without balls are just... well... female, I guess.
October 8, 2008 2:42:55 PM

aziraphale said:
Do you remember the times when people were sceptical about mice without balls?

Times change and I betcha it'll be hard to see a difference between a CRT monitor and a modern good quality LCD monitor. For a normal person that is of course...

Actually, I can see the difference. Most of my work is in AutoCAD and the lines look better on the CRT. Also, the standard background for the linework is black. Black just looks better on a CRT. I'm going to dislike it when my current CRT dies. Oh well.
October 8, 2008 2:48:16 PM

I have 2 24" widescreen CRT's one is an HP A7217A and the other is a Sony FD900W. The HPis actually a rebranded veresion of the sony. I got the second for about $200 off a company lease. I love them. It only gives you 22.5 viewable, but you can go all the way up to 2048 x 1280 resolution at 120Hz. I find the viewable area on a 24" lcd to be a bit much and I want a minimum of 1920x1200 res so far there is no LCD that can handle the job. I got both my monitors on e-bay.
a b C Monitor
October 8, 2008 2:51:55 PM

LCD's have changed a lot. And they drastically very in quality. I run a dual monitor setup and recently had to replace 1 of my failed monitors. I couldn't find the same model so I just got the closes one if my budget. I can tell you that my samsung makes my gateway look like garbage. It hard to look at them both now.
October 8, 2008 2:54:41 PM

There are certainly some beautiful LCD monitors out there, though the majority of them are still very inferior to CRT as far as color reproduction and black level. If you want CRT quality performance out of an LCD, do your research and select a monitor that uses an S-PVA panel. The S-IPS panels that are heralded on the Apple LCDs have incredible color accuracy, but are sluggish in their motion-resolution and refresh which results in their occasional motion blurriness. Some of the high end Samsung monitors like the 305T I believe use a newer S-PVA panel that captures most of the color accuracy of the old IPS panels, are genuine 8-bit, AND keep the LCD panel refresh down to 6ms or so. The problem? You're not going to find them cheap. All of those ~$200-300 bargain LCD screens at 1680x1050 and even a lot of new 1920x1200 monitors use the inferior 6-bit color TN panels; in addition to lacking back-light uniformity, and have nasty black levels (more like gray levels). Expect to pay at least $450-1200 for a monitor that has a good genuine 8-bit panel. If you're unsure what panel a particular monitor has, do your research on that particular model first. You'll be happy you did.

I'm personally still using a Samsung 244t, which is a 24" 1920x1200 beauty (circa 2005). It uses a regular PVA panel and is thus a bit dated, though the color reproduction for its time was very good after some adjustments. I am very pleased with it and consider it a significant upgrade on nearly all accounts over my former IBM P200 CRT (except for black level of course). The clarity and color saturation are amazing, and can be pretty accurate if you know what you're doing with calibration.
October 8, 2008 3:05:50 PM

it sounded a serious question until super high resolutions...
actually there is, 22 inch crt monitors and bigger can support those resolutions. its not super high kid..
its just that they're not sold anymore since there are already professional monitors that can display billions of colors and LCD's with DVI connectors that doesn't undergo analog conversion unlike the CRTs.
October 8, 2008 3:36:55 PM

Dump the CRT idea. I did the same as you for far too long. CRTs are dinosaurs and for good reason. Go to SAM's club and look at a Samsung 26" 1080p HDTV for $500. In store only. I doubt you'll beat that deal.
October 8, 2008 3:42:59 PM

Get the 30" Dell 3007WFP. It's an excellent LCD monitor with very high resolution. I ***LOVE*** it. You will need a good graphics card that supports dual-link DVI though, because a monitor that is so large & with such high resolution requires it. The price is right, too. The monitor supports 2560x1600 resolution. So if you're looking for a good monitor to hook up to your computer, don't go out and buy a high def TV and think that it's going to look GREAT on your computer, because it won't, trust me I've tried it!
a b C Monitor
October 8, 2008 3:52:47 PM

One of the Best CRT monitors is the IBM P275 21" monitor.
It can display 1920x1440 at 85hz. The 85hz is important to eliminate "shimmering" in the display.

I had two of them and replaced one with a Samsung 244T. Bad move. The quality of the display on the LCD was so much better when compared side by side, that I had to spend a bunch more to replace the other crt.

Still, if you want a CRT, you may be able to find one on E-bay for about $50. They weigh a ton, though, so you might have to pay $50 for shipping. I still have the two in storage if you are interested.
October 8, 2008 4:01:55 PM

szwaba67 said:
Yeah, mice without balls are just... well... female, I guess.

they are called 'notebook minimouse'

Disney lover
a b C Monitor
October 8, 2008 6:22:01 PM

Good CRTs are hard to come by, they are pretty much dead like hairycat101 said.

You can still find good ones like the P260 I'm using right now and other Trinitron and Diamondtrons, but most of them will be refurbs nowadays, and buying a second hand CRT is a risky option if you don't know if it has burn in or some other issue.
October 8, 2008 6:40:13 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Good CRTs are hard to come by, they are pretty much dead like hairycat101 said.

You can still find good ones like the P260 I'm using right now and other Trinitron and Diamondtrons, but most of them will be refurbs nowadays, and buying a second hand CRT is a risky option if you don't know if it has burn in or some other issue.

Diamondtrons FTW!!!! :bounce: 

Seriously, though. No one has commented on the LCD that I bought up. No thoughts on this model?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b C Monitor
October 8, 2008 6:47:08 PM

It looks pretty good for a cheap TN.

The Dell Ultrasharp 2408 is a good choice for a significantly better monitor though - full 8 bit S-PVA, 1920x1200. Unfortunately, it also costs a lot more.
a b C Monitor
October 8, 2008 8:57:44 PM

It's nice, but it seems below the OP's requirements of 1920x1440 and up, it's not even 1920x1200, so I think it misses the mark there.

As for offering an LCD in place of a CRT I'm going to wait for his reaction to that suggestion, I know anything less than a true HDR LCD for my uses at work would not be a good thing. We're just starting to convert some of the workstations here over to the NECs and while they're very nice, I still prefer my P260 for transistion areas.

So depending on what he's looking for that could be a wicked LCD for the price or fall a little short.
October 8, 2008 9:05:10 PM

thx ape. I was asking for myself more then the OP. =)
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 6, 2009 7:43:27 PM

yes CRT monitors can easily display high definition content.The co called 1080p is 1900x1080 resolution.In LCD world you need atleast 22" monitor for this resolution and refresh rate may be around 60hz.In CRT many 19" monitors can easily do 1900x1200.More pixels crammed in less screen area give better picture.The best LCD monitor cant go beyond 120 Hz but CRT can easily do 185 Hz refresh rates.
Tell you what,i bought a 2048x1536 crt monitor for 10 quid.How many thousands of pounds/Dollers are needed to buy similar resolution LCD?
Ok my CRT Weighs 45Kg and has an ass bigger tha elephant's,but the money i saved and the performance it gives covers for all that.
a b C Monitor
February 8, 2009 12:44:33 AM

I have 3 SUN Workstation CRT.... one 22 inch and 2 19inch. All three are runs great.

Its an excellent display but its darn too heavy that i can see the dent on my carpet floor. I have no issues with its performance.

I have 2 22 inch LCD and next one will phase out the 3rd SUN crt.

My main PC use a 70 inch HDTV. I do my work and use it for entainment.

March 24, 2009 4:19:21 AM

My 17" Viewsonic P70f can display up to 1920x1440. Although, I never see a need to go that high with it. I currently have it hooked to a tuner for use as an HDTV (in which it natively displays 480p, 720p, and 1080i). It'll blow the pants off any flat panel TV in existence...you just have to sit a foot away from the screen to absorb all the detail :) . If you can find one of the few flat-mask CRTs made (there's maybe 10 that LG made and only 2 from Viewsonic), I'd definitely grab it up. The chromaclear flat-mask (called "Flatron" by LG and "Perfect Flat" by Viewsonic) was an evolving CRT technology that unfortunately died with the CRT. It acted as an even compromise between the conventional shadow-mask and Sony's aperture-grill technologies. They excel in displaying and form of video, which make them excellent for gaming and television (just what I use it for).

I use a 19" Samsung 906BW as my primary computer monitor, which I personally find more suitable for normal computer use. The only time I run into problems is if I have an old game that doesn't support my native resolution, which is the other reason I keep my CRT around.

Your best bet for finding a good CRT is your local junk shop (or maybe eBay), as nobody (and I mean nobody) makes a consumer-grade CRT anymore. It's sad really, but it's a fact we'll just have to face. I have another acceptable CRT monitor ready when my ViewSonic becomes unusable, so I'm pretty much set though.

My question to anyone here is if there's an HD CRT Television comparison guide anywhere. As with computer monitors, they are only available used. I want to try and find the perfect one to purchase while I still can.
a b C Monitor
August 6, 2012 8:36:42 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!