No video after CPU cooler install - HELP !

malam

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
I just finished installing a new cpu cooler - OCZ Vendetta 2. After a couple of bruised fingers, I got it firmly inplace. I turned the computer on - the cpu fan came on, the case fans are running, I could hear the clicking of drives, but not display. Nothing ! I have pulled the memory boards out and back, the video card out and back and a few minutes ago reset the cmos..no luck. I noticed that the blue light that shows harddrive access is on steady instead of blinking to show access. Is this a clue ? I am at a loss what else to check. Please help.

System:
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
Intel E8400
OCZ PC2-8500 2 x 2064
Cosair HX620 Power Supply
ATI HD2600XT

G

Unplug all cards except video
Remove hard disk cables - basically unplug everything from the motherboard except psu - make sure the motherboard is grounded and you havent shorted anything out on the mb. Video card and memory.

At least the system is coming on so you have a power good to the motherboard so the cpu is probably ok. Strange that the hdu light is on so i would unplug that and see what happens first.

I agree it sounds like a fried mb but its been a while since ive seen it done so easily.

Check for loose connections

Strip from the basic and build the system backup - i usually do this on a custom desk setup without a case or anything to hinder my access - makes things a lot quicker to diagnose. Check voltages with a multimeter.

Mb , Video and memory stick - bootup and check

If that fails then little you can do unless you have a bios motherboard fault detector - you can buy them off ebay if you need to be sure but they are tricky to work with and difficult to setup depending on the type you go for - avoid the parallel port type ones.

Good luck!!!

malam

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
The video card is the only card in the system. I unplugged the drives and had a bootable CD in the CDROM to see if I could boot from the CD - no luck either. I unplugged the Hardrive activity light still same. I will try a new motherboard tomorrow. I'll be back with an update. Thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS