Sign in with
Your question

Need help, FAST!!! Should i get an ASUS Xonar D1 7.1

Last response: in Components
December 4, 2008 5:52:17 AM

I need to know before December 5th so i can still qualify for the rebate! I have been looking through many reviews and stuff, but there's so many options out there, my budget is $80 or less. I got a 7.1 Onkyo receiver coming in and surround sound speakers. I use my PC for 70% gaming, which sometimes also includes listening to music at the same time, and about 20 music.

Requirements for the sound card I want, is to be able to listen to music, game (in at least 5.1 surround), and DVD's (in surround sound or pass through) using only 1 optical connection to my onkyo HT receiver. I don't want to have a lot of wires going from my sound card to my HT receiver, just one.

So should i get the ASUS Xonar D1 7.1 sound card or should I look into something else?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for the help. :) 

More about : fast asus xonar

December 4, 2008 11:09:34 AM

For that budget, I'd stick with the D1, even if it is a bit older; the extra dolby features the card has should help out too...

The D2/D2X is a better package, but at $200, is out of your price range, and the same goes for anything Creative makes.
December 4, 2008 4:57:24 PM

How old is it, i thought it was released this year? I might end up going with the D1.

Thanks for the reply :) 
Related resources
December 5, 2008 12:44:07 AM

I wouldnt go for anything else but Auzentech X-Fi Prelude which is a PIECE OF ART :) 
December 5, 2008 10:51:59 AM

kenzz0 said:
I wouldnt go for anything else but Auzentech X-Fi Prelude which is a PIECE OF ART :) 

I would go that way, except X-fi's make NVIDIA and Biostar (and some other) boards go wacky. Even then, the Xonar series is better than any other card for movie playback, thanks to it having a bunch of extra dolby playback options.

The D1 is actually an older sound card. The D2 was released back in 2006, and the PCI-E D2X was only released late 2007 if i recal correctly. Still, I would take the D1 over a similarity priced Creative based X-fi for movie playback, for the above reasons.
December 5, 2008 7:21:49 PM

Well I ordered the D1, the X-Fi Prelude is too expensive for me and not worth it since my receiver does not have HD-Audio Decoder for Blu-Ray DVD's.
!