Need help with static strap

poorplay

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
Hey guys, I just got a static strap and I'm not sure how to use it, lol. I have the static strap on my wrist but I'm lost when it comes to the metal part. My question is, where do I clip that metal end to?

merc4now

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
What are you installing? best thing to do is install on a hard floor, rubber flooring if you have it (carpet bad for static)
Attache the alligator clip to any part of the caseing that's bare or that you don't mind scratching but I'm sure you could find a place around the hard drive area and as a add saftey feature be sure to touch the case alot like OCD type before touching any components. Consider that discharging what the strap posibly didn't get.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Exactly, just use the alligator clip and clip to a metal unpainted part of your case. That's all there is to it. Also, another trick if you didn't have or didn't want to use the strap is to touch an unpainted metal part of the case before handling any part.

merc4now

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Alot of people think straps are over kill and I'll admit I've done a number of jobs without one (I'm an electronics tech component level on communication equiptment). But once you see how the invisiable discharges from your fingure to a full size transistor chip (your cpu is made of millions of microscopic ones ) under a microscope, it's like a traumatic lighting storm to these very sensitive components, but for the most part a strap and good grounding habits ie touching bare metal before and during, keeps'em safe.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I do agree with merc, there is something to ESD. I'm actually an apple certified computer tech myself, so I know static can be a big deal. Though I run windows at home and on my own parts have never used a wrist strap and have had few problems, but I try to practice good practices, ie don't move too much while working, ground yourself on the case often, etc.

TRENDING THREADS