Need help with xfx 8800 gts

biscuit_247

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I recently got a new graphic card. xfx 8800 gts. I installed everything fresh and now I can't play movie files. I remove the drivers and reinstalled them and still nothing. The motherboard I have is a msi p6n diamond. I been trying to figure this out all day. I updated the nvidia drivers and everything.

the_politician

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
What exactly do you mean by "you can't play them"? Are you getting only audio w/ a black screen? Are you getting WMP errors? It could just be that you need the proper codecs for the video files. Try downloading the DivX codecs from its website.

biscuit_247

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I try a run them in vlc media player or windows media player and it dosent start I exit out and my computer runs slow and eventually any program I was running stalls.

the_politician

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
When it doesn't start, either the player will crash or you should get a "this format is not supported" type error.

Also, when you updated the nVidia drivers, did you simply update them or did you uninstall the existing ones first?

biscuit_247

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I uninstalled the existing ones. Also it crashes with no errors. I right click on the video file go to open with vlc media player no sound no screen, I exit out and then everything eventually stalls.

What kind of card did you have before? Could be a driver issue. You can also try going into the media player settings, click on performance, and lower the video acceleration settings with the sliding bar. If that doesn't work now might be a good time to format.