Upgrading ALienware's cpu Help

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hello

My company has two Alienware Area 51's that we want to upgrade. We ordered them about two years ago.
The specs are:

AMD Dual Core 64 X2 4200+ processors Socket 939

DDR SDRam PC3200 1gig

ASUS AN8-32 SLI Deluxe motherboard

NVidia 7800 GTX 256 video card.

Is it worth upgrading the processors? Are the processors still good? Should I upgrade to a faster socket 939 processor?

Help please.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
first off why the hell would ur business buy alienware computers...

second off what does your company even do? this is such a dumb question... if your 'company' uses alienware computers to surf the internet then you are fine. if your 'company' uses the computers to image/video render then you may want to upgrade. but honestly... 1) i doubt you have a company 2) you sound like a kid 3) you need to learn more about computers before you ask 'are the processors still good'

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Brutal werxen... just brutal...

As jitpublisher said it worth the upgrade as long as you are doing heavier type work... if its just general purpose office machine then its not worth it. Anything to do with working with large files (creating or manipulating) it will be worth it.

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

Dude first of all you had better watch your mouth and how you to talk to me unless you are just stressing your point. First of all I know about computers but if there is something I that don't know I ask about it instead of trying to be stupid and make a uninformed decision.

Shall I rephrase some things for the idiotic challenged. The company that I work for, I run a office for the company.

The company that I work for and what is does is not important.

I run a office with youth programs. We have Alienwares for use for our program so the kids/teens can play video games.

I can only spend so much money on upgrades. So it's either the processors or the gpu.
We use Macs for our heavy digital stuff.

I am asking people here because they may be more informed about things than I am. Not everyone has time to spend hours playing video games each day.

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hello

Just checked on some prices for some of the higher end Socket 939 processors. They are still expensive. But the 64 X2 4200+ dual core we have are still pretty good.
So will just upgrading the GPU be fine. We don't play much FPS games, most of the teens here like MMOs and things like that. Our Alienwares are SLI, should I just get a second 7800 GTX card or update to the latest cards? I have make sure the computers are still good for another 2 years.

Thanks

Help

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Definetly dont go SLI your not going to see advantages in that with a 7800 series

Any GPU upgrade will be hindered by the CPU, it also depends on what res you are playing. Im not sure what your budget is for this , or what the alienware system are like for overclocking but if you really dont have enough for new system/cpu upgrades maybe something like a 9600GT and some more RAM and an overclock on the cpu would see the best gains for least money.

939s are incredibly hard to find since they have been out of production for a while. I grabbed the top one (FX-60) right at EOL and it was cheap, but nowadays it isn't worth it (that was over a year ago). I also would suggest using a newer graphics card (especially if you play newer games. One of the mid range ATI 4000's or NVidia 9000's should be a good upgrade but not break the bank.

Also add a second gig of ram and possibly OC. Also, you can see my system in my signature which is fairly similar to yours.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
ok heres the deal man:

first dont ever get another alienware POS overpriced bling bling computer again - they are just a rip off and more cosmetic than performance. always build your own. a general rule of thumb when building is if it does not fit, it does not go there. i built my first computer at the age of 15 with no experience besides HDD installation. you should be fine.
second, it really depends on what kind of games your youth play. you are not specific and thus you are going to get crap answers.
if the teens play upcoming games at max resolutions then yes you will need to upgrade. if thay play starcraft, quake 3, world of warcraft etc (older games) then you should be OK. i would invest in a 4850. if you really own a business then efficiency with your money is the maximum priority and the 4850 is the best bang for the buck.

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Thanks everyone for your help. I will go for the EVGA Nvidia 9800 GTX. I might be able to get a processor upgrade and motherboard upgrade.

I was looking at a LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI board with a E or Q series Intel processor to go with it. Would this be a good upgrade for at least 2 years or should I just stick to upgrading the video card and adding more ram?

Oh I run a office,not own.

Thanks

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
If you got new mainboard and CPU you would also need new RAM (DDR2 not DDR1) starts getting expensive yeh?

If you have the money i would suggest.

Asus P5Q-SE
e7300
any old dual kit off DDR2 2-4gb depending on budget

Pico_w

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
^ good suggestion. Why did you choose a SLI board? Do you plan on going SLI? I think you shouldn't even think of planning to go SLI later with a 9800GTX. At that time when you have the budget to do that, there might be way better GPUs out there. 2Gb DDR2 are so cheap these days. If you don't plan on overclocking a cheap value ram should do you good enough.

Actually if you are not planning to overlock, this might be a good build.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103272
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186150
Any value DDR2 between 2gb and 4gb

TRENDING THREADS