Cant complete Windows XP reinstallation

CBaca

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I got a virus or spyware on my computer which I couldn't get rid of, no matter how many scanners I tried. I thought it was gone, but it came back. So, I have decided to reinstall Windows XP. I have the manufacturer's recovery disks, so I created a slipstream disk with SP3.

Since my computer was infected I created the slipstream disk on my laptop which is running Vista 32bit. I used N-Lite to create the disk. Everything went well and I burned a dvd. I started the reinstallation, deleted the existing partitions and reformatted the hard drive. The installation was going well, but when it came to input the product key, it kept saying it was invalid. I am using the product key that came with my computer.

I should mention that my computer is over 6 years old and the XP version that came with it was before SP1 was released which is why I created the slipstream with SP3.

Is there anything I can do? Do I need to create a new slipstream disk?

You are going to have to contact the system manufacturer and explain your situation. When your machine was built most manufacturer's used the same key for each computer (they bought multi-user licenses), the key on your box is not likely to be the one used for activation. You other option is to get an OEM XP license/key from MS, but they'll likely charge you.