upgrade yesterday...

Yesterday, I replaced my E6600 with an E8400(3.0ghz) and also installed a Xigmatek S1283 cooler. Wow, what a difference in operating temps, both at idle and under load. I'm wondering if the readings are accurate...

Before upgrade, cpu was running at @ 50c idle and @ 60 to 70c under load. Now, the readings are @ 23c, and after a half hour of my son and I playing "COD WaW" the temp is still @ 23c!!! Possible?? Readings taken w/ latest ver of "RealTemp". Temps with "CPUID" were 38c under load.

The issue now is temp of our video card, the nVidia 8800GTS...that is the oven right now... @ 75c temp after COD... Solution? There is a side-fan there, which will be upgraded soon w/ a Minebea (76cfm). Was just web-surfing and got a "BSD" and then re-boot...temp was @ 70c on the GPU.

Also, should I have have long-term concerns with the weight of this Xigmatek cooler on possible cracking of the MB? I installed it w/ the Xigmatek backplate.

Thx for any input....
Brian
USA / RI
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade yesterday
  1. My best advice is to leave it alone once it's in place. On my system, the difference between the bios temps and coretemp is about 18 degrees c. I honestly don't know which is more accurate. If temps are a problem, they will show up under load when gaming, often in the form of artifacts on the screen.
  2. When you have large conflicting differences of temperature, you should calbrate them:

Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

For graphics cards:

80-90ºC is average
    115ºC is threshhold
    127ºC burnout
  3. 8800:
    You could try removing the dust, reapplying thermal paste and adjusting the fan to 100% with Rivatuner.

Tell us about your power supply.
    Also tell us about your memory.
    You could try running memtest86+ for errors.
  4. Thx, guys...

For vid card, will use RiveTuner to crank up fan speed. I'm also getting 3 new 120x25mm case fans I hope...prob Minebea #4710KL's (75cfm) and a fan controller.

rig:
    Asus P5B-D "1237" bios
    E8400 (not OC'd yet)
    Corsair 6400c4 (4-4-4-12) 4 gig
    nVidia 8800GTS (640mb)
    PC Power & Cooling 610W PS
    LianLi A16 case

For some reason, I cannot put my system specs into my sig... maybe because I'm new to posting at this forum...
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs World Of Warcraft