A humourus story! Starring Mr Floppy.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
:hello: hi there people! how are we on this fine day! " :sleep: " OI it can't be that boring already! :non:

Well, it all started one fine sunday morning when i overclocked my E4400 to 2.66GHz,
266GHzcpu-z.jpg

and noticed it was getting kinda warm under load :whistle:
EDIT: no matter how hard i try i can't enlarge that coretemp pic :( oh well... 71 degrees under load was what coretemp showed.

So, with some inspiring music playing (Hallelujah :kaola: ) i thought "Hmmm this will not do :pfff: " so i set my own personal computing organ contained within my skull to work, and thought "I wonder how my cables have been feeling lately..." and opened up the side of my computing machine :p to see... A HORRIBLE MESS OF CABLES

S6301400.jpg

:ouch: i was like "Wow what an official looking yellow sticker on my optical drive bays...Hmmm someone put a lot of time into cable management of this when it was built.... and it wasn't me. :sarcastic: Or... Was it? :??: " no just kidding i'm not that much of a silly goose :kaola:

so, getting on with the story, i first identified the main target: THE FLOPPY DISK DRIVE. :eek: , because it was fat. no seriously, because of the wide, air restricting, hideous mass of wires known as the IDE CABLE. So, i yanked the illegitimate son of a cable out of the seven year old dusty biatch, cut it's life source (AKA power cable for those a little more dull-witted), got a strew driver and pulled out the screws, and Finally *big deep breath* pushed out the antique by the front bezel, nearly snapping a couple of other power cables in the process :??:

I then got a knife and pushed on three little tab things on the front of the floppy drive to pop the front cover off:
S6301403.jpg

so i wouldn't leave a gaping hole in the case like this:
S6301404.jpg

Got some general purpose glue (AKA blu-tac!) and put it around the edges of the bezel:
S6301406.jpg

cleaned the excess off shown in the pic above with my awesome knife, and ended up like this!
S6301407.jpg

you can't see it too well unfortunately, i should take a closer up pic sometime... anywho, the only problem is.. it's upside down! -_- noticed that five minutes after i had it blu tack'd in and all cleaned up. oh well, adds a...personal touch! :D
After that, i started with my first round of wire management, which i won't bore you too much with the details... you can see the result here:
S6301510.jpg

Sticky tape ftw! i OWNED that sata cable! :p

Anyone bored? OK, you have my permission to go to sleep now if you wish :kaola: :sleep: oh woops i think i must have just drifted off for a day or two there... ANYWAY.

This is kind of a work in progress, and it's fairly likely to get less humorous from now on :( oh well. Probably gonna get a bit more technical, so those un-technical people that i'm going to show this to, now could be a good time to stop reading until i update it lol) So now, the plan is to:
1:spray paint my crappy 7 year old case shiny black,
2: get a 250cm fan and mangle my side panel in order to fit it, (question: should i have it blowing into the case or sucking out?)
3: get some Arctic silver 5 and arcticlean (i know AS5 isn't the top dog anymore, but it will definitely suffice for my needs, and it's bundled with arcticlean, which i will need to clean off the stock paste that came with the retail E4400 HSF) to put on my CPU and GPU
4: Pencil mod my 7600GS and hope to hell that having a B1 instead of the A1 featured in the vmod guide doesn't mean the resistor is gonna be in a different spot :eek: that probably means my card will fryyyyyy
5: Drill some more holes in the back of my case
6: get a new CPU cooler... xigmatek HDT-S983

Haha already completed three of those and deleted them from the list!

I figure, if i already have a 50% OC on my graphics card without vmod (im sure the voltage is holding my OC back, cos the temps are fine, and will be even finer with some AS5 and a 25cm fan blowing on it!) then i should be able to get a record breaking OC (meh, so what if it's an AGP 7600GS, it OWNS! :kaola: )

Thanks for reading, looking forward to your comments and my future mods! hope you enjoyed :)

IM SO EXCITED! :bounce:

PS you may notice
1: the bottom of my case is a litttle dusty :??: hasn't been dusted in 7 years... oh wellz
2: the vcore reported by cpuz is LOWER than the VID that coretemp says! unfortunately, my northbridge is a VIA chipset, and i cannot adjust cpu vcore :( i think it's auto... although the voltage hasn't changed from 2.00 to 2.66... :pfff:

this is my new cable management :) notice bottom right corner, i tidied up the sata and gpu splitter/molex power cables BEHIND the DVD drive IDE cable, also tidied up some cables and chucked em in the top drive bay
S6301533.jpg

(4 pin extension of the 20+4 pin mobo connector which i didn't need) and did some re-routing of the 20pin connector. pretty happy with it atm but if you have any suggestions feel free!
S6301528.jpg

compared to the original:
S6301400.jpg

I would say definitely worth the zip ties (found some and used em all, lol just saved $7.50!) and my back/neck :??:

and as a last, serious question: should i get a side-blowing heat sink, or a top-down cooler? my reasoning for this dilemma is this: the 25cm side fan will be blowing or sucking... either way i figure it will distrupt the airflow going out the back of the case. Is this correct? if so, would it be better just to stick with a side cooler anyway, and hope that if i set the side fan to suck out, it will take the air with it? if not, then i guess it's all go with the side cooler! it IS $20 price difference between a scythe zipang top-down cooler and a xigmatek S983 side cooler, and the xigmatek also offers greater performance. but i wonder, will this be the case with a 105cfm fan sucking/blowing with the scythe's fan?

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
well, it was basically a humorous story that i will be updating as i do more things... at the end was a question about the 25cm fan and which heat sink to get... and jitpublisher i doubt you read it 3 times...

didn't know humour was so ill received. I'll just be boring and dull next time shall I?

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
yeah, or i could add the 250mm fan i said i was going to... i'm not going to spend money on a whole new case, and i can't be stuffed to take everything out and put it in a new one... it would also be over budget: i'm not going to spend that much on this just for a little, unneeded speed increase. it's purely experience.