Evga 9600gt driver fan issue

jimbonewbie

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Here is my problem just wondering if anyone else with card has this problem. Have Evga 9600gt SC 725mhz core 900mhz memory.

Driver versions:

175.19 everything works OK

177.79 and 178.13 fan goes to full blast when computer goes to standby/sleep. Other than that all works OK. My only concern is my card isn't performing as well as it could. I was reading that these newer drivers can provide some performance increases.

I like things to work at their full potential and I also like to be environmentally concious at the same time, But it appears I can't have that, unless their is something else wrong. So for me its 1 or the other.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
jimbonewbie your could try using ntune by nvidia:http://www.nvidia.com/object/sysutility.html I use it on my 9800gtx and set it @ 40% fan speed.that may help you out.I like to keep my gpu cool while gamming and it works pretty good.

jimbonewbie

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Yeah I know I can manually set the fan speed usinga utility but I also like having my system run quiet as well. The thing is I use ntune to both underclock and overclock depending on what I am doing. For the most part I have it underclocked at 400mhz core and leave memory as is. What gets me is I can always go back to the older driver and have the fan stay silent when I put it to sleep w/o doing anything.

I've read places that you can use a utility like driver cleaner pro or similar to uninstall drivers, and to not let windows uninstall drivers. Then start in safe mode and install the drivers, but I don't have any visual anomolies or crashes.