HDD Tons of Errors :(

rabbidrabbitz

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Hello,
Last night I took out my SATA drive. Plugged it in and rebooted my computer. I noticed a long beep for about 5 seconds. I looked at the error code on my motherboard and it was a memory error. I was perplexed. I took out the memory and plugged it back in tighter and everything was fine except when I started loading windows it took a little longer to start up.

On top of that, It seems as though whenever I run hard drive intense operations (decompressing, saving a file from the internet) my mouse jerks and my music skips in the background.

I'm not really sure if memory would cause this or if it's just my hard drive. It might have just been coincidence that my RAM had an error at the same time as my hard drive problems? I've had this hard drive for about 2 and a half years now.

Any tips or help much appreciated.

EDIT: Any easy way to find out if the problem is the HDD, the cable, or the motherboard SATA socket itself?

Thanks!

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Check all the cabling that it is sitting properly. Unplug and replug them just to make sure everything is nice and tight. To test if it is the SATA plug, change the cable on another SATA on the mobo. To test the HD, run a Scandisk or use a Seagate Diagnostic Tool from their website. From the picture it looks like the DMA part is malfunctioning, that is why the HD seems so slow (jerks and pauses).

My guess is that the controller on your HD is faulty and unfortunately there is no easy way around it. Just backup all your data and get a new hard drive.

(The fact that your memory was not properly plugged in probably did not matter. It could -in theory- create a short or make the BIOS behave erratically and create problems with your hard drive or other hardware but it is a long shot.)

sub mesa

Distinguished
PIO issue. Probably is causing that PIO issue, but a mouse jerking sounds like that due to excessive interrupt CPU usage. No normal cpu usage will cause the mouse to become jerky.

What i do not understand is: if you suspect bad memory; why did you boot your operating system; why not do a memory test first? If your memory is bad, writing to the disk may corrupt your data; you don't want that.

You should first download Memtest86+ or any Ubuntu cd as it contains memtest too, let it run for a few hours until it says PASSED. Then you load up windows and run a HDTune benchmark. It will tell us instantly whether you have a PIO problem, and we can fix that quite easily for you.

@shovenose: please don't post if you have got nothing to say.