Sign in with
Your question

[resolved] Asus p6t deluxe - Core 0 on I7 always running high

Last response: in CPUs
December 4, 2008 12:56:09 PM

I just put together my I7 920 vista 64 box.

I noticed that core zero always has load even if nothing is going on. The die temps all look like they are idle and I cannot find any processes that are taking cpu. Does it just mean that system idle process is being represented on core 0? If not how can I tell what is running on that logical core since i cannot find any processes doing this in process explorer.

Thanks

[b]resolution below[/b]

I have an asus p6t deluxe board which has a marvell controller on it. There was a marvell raid controller driver installed that was causing this. I am not sure at what point in my build did this get installed, but since the only thing i was using that chip for was my ide burner it wasn't required. Therefor, I think there was some contention going on with it, possibly it didn't have setting in bios for it to work right.

Bottom line disabling/uninstalling this storage controller from dev mngr showed immediate results. The most annoying thing with this issue was the troubleshooting process required to get the point where you start disabling random system components since there is no process info for this even using process explorer. I hope this info save someone else the hassle that I went through.
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2008 1:12:20 PM

For some reason I always find most work on my last core (c1 at work, c3 at home)

I shouldn't worry, it'll just be windows sitting the twiddling it's thumbs!
December 4, 2008 1:31:30 PM

My core 0 on my Q6600 is always a few degrees hotter than the rest of my cores.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2008 4:16:18 PM

well thats the first core that receives data right? if a process is not multi threaded the you can expect your first cores to always process more data.
December 4, 2008 7:55:26 PM

OK this is weird. After I wake up, unsuspend my pc, and go to check this post I look and it's not doing it anymore. It is really bugging me what this could be. Maybe a driver issue, if so I How can i tell since there is no process or sum of processes that would do it?
December 4, 2008 9:36:41 PM

Well seems when I reboot it comes back. any ideas?
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2008 10:43:32 PM

How high of a load is it?

Mine always has one core or another at 5-10% load, maybe a bit less, but nothing huge.
December 5, 2008 12:08:31 AM

cjl said:
How high of a load is it?

Mine always has one core or another at 5-10% load, maybe a bit less, but nothing huge.

it was on avg 80% but i found the root cause. I have an asus p6t deluxe board which has a marvell controller on it. There was a marvell raid controller driver installed that was causing this. I am not sure at what point in my build did this get installed, but since the only thing i was using that chip for was my ide burner it wasn't required. Therefor, I think there was some contention going on with it possibly it didn't have setting in bios for it to work right.

Bottom line disabling/uninstalling this storage controller from dev mngr showed immediate results. The most annoying thing with this issue was the troubleshooting process required to get the point where you start disabling random system components since there is no process info for this even using process explorer. I hope this info save someone else the hassle that I went through.
December 5, 2008 12:49:17 AM

it got installed on the auto load

from the cd - most likely

first, thx for the follow up lot of noobies come here get there issues fixed and never tell us what happened

GOOD JOB on the follow up!

marvel sucks again - i rememver the x975 fisacal building dual raid systems and the raid controller did not raid! what a story.......... opps off the track!
December 5, 2008 1:21:00 AM

dragonsprayer said:
it got installed on the auto load

from the cd - most likely

first, thx for the follow up lot of noobies come here get there issues fixed and never tell us what happened

GOOD JOB on the follow up!

marvel sucks again - i rememver the x975 fisacal building dual raid systems and the raid controller did not raid! what a story.......... opps off the track!

I'm a unix system admin so I guess it's a habit.

As for your comment, I agree, remember having issues with marvel and pci bus saturation in conjunction with creative xfi (huge topic within itself) on an older A8N board. I had to switch to the fake raid that nvidia provides. The p6t does have SAS provided by marvel so I wonder how that is. Since I have a velociraptor it may be not worth the effort to play with it. Was planning on getting 2 of them for raid 0 but decided to wait and just get a ssd next year. Also I read arguments that raid 0 isn't really as great as everyone thinks for a gaming pc.
December 5, 2008 3:04:29 AM

raid0 rocks!

i raid every computer - why?
multitasking - it is much faster. one drive seeks while one drive reds

techie people look at the mb/s that is a flawed method - testing programs do not take in to account multiptasking.

so...

with a onboard raid lets say you go from 70mb/s to 110/mbs with raptor raid - it is much faster then the numbers show.

again its mutlitasking mutliple programs
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2008 8:11:44 AM

Not really. RAID 0 is striped, which means that the data is in stripes that go across both disks. Unless your data is much smaller than one stripe, you can't have one disk seeking while the other reads. They will both be required to read any file of a significant size.
December 5, 2008 11:11:40 AM

raid 0 has advantages, though I think they are misunderstood by many. Sometimes just looking at benches doesn't give you a good feel of what advantages you're getting.

I remember getting many divergent views when I was trying to find a good answer for the scenario I was interested in.
!