E8400 at 2Ghz all of a sudden! *Updated A-Ok"

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
*UPDATE* The arctic silver 5 took care of the issue of the temp climbing till the thing would shut off. It still runs hot but thats because my room was hot, I bought the computer over the summer so its been AC'ed the whole time till now pretty much. I will be getting a new heatsink & fan so hopefully that will give me some room to OC. Thanks to all!

Intel sucks for including such a crappy heatsink and crapy grease which DRIES OUT!?

wtf.jpg

What happened? Its also running very hot idle. I am guessing it got too hot and bumped itself down to 2ghz? I did not OC or anything, I didn't even touch it. Well, I accidently moved my mouse this morning when my alarm went off and was pissed cause my PC loud so I shut it off via the power button, but that should not piss it off like this.

anyone know why its running so hot all of a sudden? oh and Real temp says the same thing.

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Crap, this is no good. Now its getting so hot I can't even get into the bios for 10 seconds without it shutting off. The stock thermal grease seems to be dry also, I just reseated the heat sink. And if it posts hopefully that means my mobo is not shorting out, because it is posting.

I guess I should go pick up some thermal paste and a heat sink if I can find one.

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I don't know about the temps, but what you seeing is normal as Intel's Speedstep reduces the processors multiplier and vcore to reduce heat when it's at a low load. Run something CPU intensive and the speed will go back to normal.

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008

I fear this is worse than that. I went into the bios, after reseating the heat sink again and I watched the CPU temp in the bios climb before my eyes. from 69-70-72-75-79 and I just shut it off after that. I had a similar problem when my heat sink fell off and didn't notice it. so I will try replacing it unless anyone has an idea of what else could be wrong.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
lol... first off are you using stock heatsink?
second dropping it down to 2 gighz is perfectly normal. its smart way of conserving energy - the multiplier gets reduced when idle.
third: make sure you applied thermal paste correctly

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
ok, I got the arctic silver 5 thermal compound and now it seems to be staying at 48, which is still bad compared to the 30 it used to be. I guess I should try a new heat sink, but I have no idea why this one would stop doing a decent job all of a sudden.

Maybe its too hot in this room, Ill turn the heat down, see if that helps.

Kari

Splendid
did you clean off the old paste before applying new paste? and make sure all the pushpins are all the way through and the heatsink sits nice and tight...

every time you remove the heatsink and brake the bond between the layers, you're supposed to clean the old stuff and apply new layer. The paste undergoes some changes when heated up and it wont make a good contact after the separation.

ambient temp has an effect on cpu temps but nowhere near that dramatic, so something else is wrong

Kari

Splendid
oh you edited the opening message, yeah boo intel for supplying normal paste. most of the stuff behaves like that. some high quality stuff remains 'liquid' but you're not supposed to reuse them either