New motherboard installed, so I need new paste?

suspectedyugo

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Hi guys,

I recently installed a new motherboard. However, I had to separate the cpu and heatsink during the uninstallation process. The paste between them seems good, so do I have to clean it and apply a new paste, or will the paste that was already between them still work?

Any tips would be great, thanks! :D

Clean it with isoproyl alchohol (not the kind you drink, tequila is bad for motherboards) let dry completely. Use new paste. About $7 at local computer shop and corner drugstore, use a new coffee filter for less lint and debris then a paper towel.

sailer

Splendid
Simple answer. Any time you remove a heatsink, replace the paste. It dries a bit when being used and looses malleability, so therefore will not be adequate for another application. As noted, use isopropyl alcohol, 91% or better, for cleaning. Coffee filters or good quality toilet tissue are fine for cleaning off the alcohol/softened paste. If the heatsink isn't very smooth, you might try sanding/lapping it a bit for better contact and heat dispersion. Some people lap the CPU as well, but I wouldn't recommend that, as if you do, the warranty is gone, gone, gone.

suspectedyugo

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Thanks for the replies, guys. The thing is, it's an AM2 socket, so the spread is pretty big, and both the cpu and heatsink are the same; they were only separated for a short while. I'd really hate to take it out and clean it since I don't overclock or anything; is it possible that not cleaning it and reapplying will be okay?

Thanks, again! ^_^

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008

No, unless you use the same grease that was already on the CPU and heat sink. Can't mix grease.

suspectedyugo

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Yea I know. It's just that the paste is still on the CPU, it's still on the heatsink, so I'm surprised that just separating them for a second really messes things up to the point you can't just put them right back to where they were.