Is my motherboard dead?! Please help me!

G

I have an Intel D945GNT motherboard with a Pentium D processor. About a month ago, I was playing Call of Duty 4 when my screen glitched and everything froze with some jagged colorful lines going horizontally across my screen. My natural response was to force the power off, but it didn't shut off after 3-5 seconds, and I held my finger on the button for about ten seconds before hearing a popping noise and seeing a small cloud of smoke rise from my tower. I yanked the plug and opened up my desktop to find that two small square transistors (522 T40 N03G if that means anything to anyone) had blown, between the processor socket and the parallel port. I've held off on turning it back on for fear of damaging other components. The graphics card, processor, memory and drives all look fine, even plugged my hard drives into an external enclosure.

My question is... should I just buy a new motherboard? Or is it possible that the transistors were not super important to the operation of my computer? If I turn it on now, would I risk damaging anything further? I could really use some advice on this one, I've never run into this problem before. I can't really afford a new motherboard, and my eyes are getting tired of doing work on a 10" netbook. I'd love for my desktop to live again! Thanks for any help.

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Ya, replace that shyt. You can get a very decent mobo/CPU/RAM combo fairly cheap and it should beat your old one into the ground. You might also want to invest in a good Powersupply as well. I bet it might have been the actual cause of the small 'explosion' :p