Windows 7 Performance Index for Hard Disk

gilpin

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Hi,

I successfully upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 over the weekend and one of the first things I did was to check the Windows 7 Performance Index for my hardware.

All of my scores were 7.4 except for my hard disk which was 5.9.

I have a Barracuda 7200.11 SATA2 3Gb/s 500GB Hard Drive, which I thought was fairly fast.

Does anyone know how this score is calculated for the hard drive?

Also if I were to upgrade to a faster drive with a higher performance index can anyone recommend one, giving the corresponding performance index?

My motherboard is Sata 2 not Sata 3, if that has a bearing.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Use a real benchmark if you're interested in the speed of your HDD/SSD.

All harddrives are slow for the function of a system drive. So the score doesn't matter anything really. Maybe you should hack the sourcecode so it alway gives you a score of 300 and everyone's happy. :D

The maximum score for hard drives in Vista was 5.9. In Windows 7 the scoring range was extended to reflect the much better performance of SSDs. So in terms of the overall picture, what the score is telling you is that there is room for performance improvement if you go to an SSD.

With some effort (such as 10k or faster hard drives in RAID), you can get into the low 6s. Any more than that and you need an SSD though.

darkjuggalo2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I have a velociraptor set up in raid and it runs at 10k it scores a 5.9!!!

Dont get discouraged because of this we are in a new generation of storage ssd is around and it is blazing fast!!!

a 5.9 is a perfectly fine score for your hdd in windows 7!!!

I have dual velociraptors in RAID as well (Intel ICH10R, write-back cache enabled), and it scored a 6.2. Now I run an X25-M 80GB though, which gets a 7.6 (the velociraptors are now my application drives).

darkjuggalo2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

Nice... I have a standard 7200 rpm as my slave so i think this drags my transfer rates down.... but i cant quite afford ssd yet so i am happy with the 5.9

I think there's also some variability - I've seen my laptop's score vary by a couple of tenths sometimes if I rerun the assessment. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you're happy with the performance - a pair of velociraptors is still quite a fast setup.

paul pitiful

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
oddly enough, i put in an ocz 128G ssd .... and windows 7 gave it a 5.9 score. it didn't seem faster either - mabe because I couldn't hear it working. all other scores were 7.0 or better.

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
I'm only getting 5.9....I've got win7 and two 30gb OCZ vertex ssd's in raid0 :-/

Ah just updated windows......now getting a disk performance of 6.7....still seems a little low to me though as I've 2 ssd's in raid0

I think when win7 first shipped it had the vista performance indexing software that had a max for the disk of 5.9....there are too many people here with good harddrive setups getting 5.9......update windows and see if that makes a difference.

andythebrave

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
hi guys i use s7375052 8as hdd and a hd753lj niot in raid amd 965 790fx mb 6970 amd graphics and i get processor 7.4 mem 7.4 graphics 7.9 gamig gaming graphics 7.9 primary hdd 7.5 use the ati dirver with catayst ver 1.2.1.296 as this increases speed all rest run at 5.9 and yes there is a a massive speed difernce i am using windows 7 64 ultimate i kid you not try it and see

andythebrave

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
ps im an it eng so ive treid antried the orignal gigabyte dirvers were 5.9 but he amd sata driver dated april 11 is the one to use

fugtitive

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

man this was driving me crazy ... my disk performance dipped from 7.4 to 5.9 for no apparent reason ... well, a service i never heard of had somehow been stopped

it's Microsoft Superfetch ... immediately jacked me back up to 7.4 ... peformance wizard noticed it was not enabled ...google it up ... enable it ... and you will be good to go (no guarantee system will be faster, but nobody wants a 7.4 system showing as a 5.9!!!)

oh and i don't think this matters much, but i have a Crucial SSD drive about 1.5 years old ... reports at 7.4 ... AGAIN!!!