8800 GTS driver failure

arges86

Distinguished
I don't really know if this is the best place to post this...
but i guess that's part of the problem.

When playing full screen games, my video card driver will fail, and cause the game, and the computer to crash. The only solution to fix it is to restart the computer.
I have my videocard overclocked from:
Clock 513Mhz to 612Mhz
Memory 792Mhz to 837Mhz
Shaders 1188Mhz to 1417Mhz
The temperatures seem within the normal range...
I used RivaTuner v2.11 to Overclock, it and have forceware version 177.98 (latest supported by RivaTuner)

Is this a result of the overclocking of the videocard, or some other underlying cause?
My computer is:
AMD Athlon athlon 64 X2 5200+ OCed @ 2999 MHz
Mobo: Gigabyte gigabyte M57SLI-S4 w/ nForce 570 SLI chipset
RAM: Mushkin PC2-6400 DDR2 ddr2 /800
VC: Evga 8800 GTS 320MB

Thank you for any help

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Try running your graphics card at stock speeds, and try playing a few full screen games. If it doesn't crash then it was the oc.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008

What is the graphic card temps?

Have you tried rolling back to an older driver? Or reinstalling the driver?

Has this happened since you got the card?

Also maybe try returning your CPU OC to stock speeds for testing purposes.

arges86

Distinguished
Idle temps are 75 degrees C.
Load Temps are around 85 degrees C.

I've tried a few diff. drivers:
177.98 (driver using because its the latest that RivaTuner supported)

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Those temps "shouldn't" make it crash, but it may. They are high temps. Mine idles at like 45C, but that's with the fan at 75%. Crank your fan speed up.

Also for those that are still using RivaTuner, i recommend EVGA Precision. It was programmed with the help of the Riva Tuner programmer. Personally i like it better.

HazMatt

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I know this really isn't a solution - but it might help. I have been having the same frustrating problem with my GTX260. I called BFG and was told that the drivers and the card are not the problem - but there is a conflict within my system that is causing the crash/driver failure. They suggest i mail the card to them for testing - yea i'll get right on that. In other words they have relieved themselves of all responsibility regarding this issue. I have been in the forums for weeks trying to figure this out. What I have found is that many many people are having the same problem across the board. This is extremely widespread. And as far as I can see there is no viable solution. BFG seems to think it's a PSU problem - I have an antec 850W power supply, if that power supply isn't compatible I don't know what PSU would be. I honestly believe that this IS a Nvidia driver problem - it is too wide spread over too many different cards. I am about 2 steps away from bringing my card back and getting an ATI. I hate to make the switch, but this is intolerable. Like I said...this really isn't a solution.