Linksys RV082 Gateway to Gateway VPN Configuration Question

caldog

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I have a remote location in which we have succesfully configured a gateway to gateway VPN over DSL using the Linksys RV082 router at both the remote and home location. We are attempting to setup a backup vpn configuration at the remote location utilizing the Dual WAN capability and Smart Link Backup option of the Linksys RV082 by having a Cable Internet connection, in addition to the dsl, at the remote location and having a vpn link through the cable internet in addition to the DSL line.

For the VPN configuration over DSL we have it configured as follows:

******** Home Location ********
---Local Group Setup----
Local Security Group: IP Only
IP Address: Home Location IP Address from DSL provider
Local Security Group Type: Subnet
IP Address: 10.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 255.255.225.0

---Remote Group Setup----
Remote Security Gateway Type: IP Only
IP Address: Remote Location IP Address from DSL provider
Remote Security Group Type: Subnet
IP Address: 192.168.1.0
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

******** Remote Location ********
---Local Group Setup----
Local Security Group: IP Only
IP Address: Remote Location IP Address from DSL provider
Local Security Group Type: Subnet
IP Address: 192.168.1.0
Subnet Mask: 255.255.225.0

---Remote Group Setup---
Remote Security Gateway Type: IP Only
IP Address: Home Location IP Address from DSL provider
Remote Security Group Type: Subnet
IP Address: 10.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Notes:
Home Location has a static DSL Internet connection
Remote Location has a static DSL and static Cable Internet connection

The router will not allow me to setup another VPN using the same configuration as above. It requires a different IP Address under the Remote Group IP Address which I guess is understandable. So how can I configure it so that I have a automatic backup VPN available if the primary VPN/Internet connection fails and the Linksys automatically switches over to the backup internet connection?

Thanks.
Calvin

JustAGuy51

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
One way is to run a routing protocol between the two routers. I don't know Linksys RV082 capability but it should at least support RIP.

Conceptually, you configure like this:
You have more than 1 route to the remote network, primary and backup. You then assign metrics to those routes. Make the primary route cheaper in terms of cost/metric so that router will use it under normal conditions. In case it goes down, the router will auto-switch to backup route.

I just figured static routes might also work too since they have metrics associated with them. Try it and let me know!