I7 core temperatures different

thirty2bit

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Greetings,
I just brought an i7 1156-860 system to life, as in it's only been running for about 12 hours now. I'm cooling the processor with a Megahalems and an application of Tuniq TX-3 compound in the "line across the cores" method.

I'm running Prime95 on it to burn things in. CPUID's HWMonitor is showing me the core temps. Cores 0-2 are reading a temp of 50c, while core 3 is sitting at 47c.

This doesn't seem normal - do I have an issue with the heatsink mounting? I.e, do I need to remove and remount it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Solution
Your temps are very good. Nothing is wrong. Slight variations in core temps are perfectly normal. It's okay! Don't worry. Be happy! :)

BTW - I am getting ready to purchase the Intel Core i7 860 for a new project. I chose the cpu mainly because of the mainstream programs I use for high end digital image editing. Luckily I found competent technical reviews with benchmark results for digital image editing and video rendering. I'm not into hardcore gaming and extreme overclocking. How do you like the cpu? Any problems?
Your temps are very good. Nothing is wrong. Slight variations in core temps are perfectly normal. It's okay! Don't worry. Be happy! :)

BTW - I am getting ready to purchase the Intel Core i7 860 for a new project. I chose the cpu mainly because of the mainstream programs I use for high end digital image editing. Luckily I found competent technical reviews with benchmark results for digital image editing and video rendering. I'm not into hardcore gaming and extreme overclocking. How do you like the cpu? Any problems?

Solution

thirty2bit

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Hey JohnnyLucky,
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping I wouldn't have to pull and remount the Megahalems. One thing that Prolimatech didn't do was countersink the holes in the two bars ("strip adapters") that the main sink retention bar ("mounting plate") screws down into. The spring-loaded screws have to be dead-center on the holes in order to mate. It was a bit-of-an-itch trying to get them screwed down with the mobo out of the case. (yeah, of course I'd be lazy and try to remount it without gutting the whole thing...) :)

I can't say much about the i7-860 yet. I've only just gotten Win7-64 loaded along with the basics (Intel chipset, Intel Storage Matrix, VIA audio, ATI Catalyst) and wanted to run Prime95 for a day.

I'm surprised that even after a few hours, the Megahalems is still completely dead cool to the touch. I've got a Scythe S-Flex SFF21F on it, but no side cover on the case (drive cage/cable problem mentioned in other thread).