I7 memory expandability...

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
So I ordered an i7 system which is coming with 3 gb (3 X 1 gb) of ram. I want to know:

1) If I were to order 6 gb of ram (3 X 2 gb), can I use it with the ram that I already have for a total of 9 gb? my mobo is the asus p6t, which has 6 dimm slots, so all the memory modules would fit, but I have no idea whether or not my computer would recognize all 9 gb of ram. So I guess my question is do all the memory sticks need to be the same size?

2) Do all the dimms need to be the same rated speed, or can i get higher rated memory and operate it at a lower frequency to match the speed of the memory that is coming with my system?

3) Is it better/worse to have 6x1 gb of memory vs. 3x2 gb of memory as far as performance goes?

My system is coming with corsair xms3 1333 mhz memory.

Thanks for your help! -Andrew

On a hardware level, that really depends on your motherboard, but theoretically yes. You should be able to run 9GB in a 3x1 plus 3x2, and it does appear that you understand that 'Lowest Common Denominator' will apply.

But let me ask: What operating system? If you're running 32 bits, then you won't be able to use much (if any) more than 3x1Gb sticks because of addressing limitations.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Thanks Scotteq. I have vista 64 bit.

Does anyone know whether ASUS P6T will allow 9GB of memory to run in 3x1 plus 3x2 configuration?

Also does anyone know the answer to my question 3?