e8500 idle and load temp problems?

Blah DTMM

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I've recently started to look into overclocking my cpu (core 2 duo e8500) and before I did anything like that I wanted to see what temps my CPU is already running at. So I downloaded Core Temp and both cores at idle were running at about 51 C. I searched around a bit and found some sites saying that is way too high for an idle temp and some saying that it is okay. So can anyone clarify this for me?

Also, I downloaded prime95 to run the torture test to see my temps under a full load and both cores got up to around 64 C, with one core usually being 2 or 3 degrees higher than the other. I'm pretty sure this is too high, so I would like to know how I can fix this. Is there any way for me to increase my fan speeds? I downloaded and ran SpeedFan and it shows this:

Why does it say that only one of my fans is running? Why are the rest of them at 0 RPM?

Huttfuzz

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
As noted in many posts. The only reliable temp program is RealTemp. Get the last version. My cores are running 33/31 at idle on a 3.6 ghz O/C

Blah DTMM

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Oh okay, I checked the temps using RealTemp and there is quite a difference. At idle it gives me readings of around 41 C, and at full load I am getting around 59 C. That still seems kind of high though doesn't it? Especially since I haven't overclocked or anything. And is there any reason why SpeedFan still says that only one of my fans is running?

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

Are your fans connected directly to the power supply? Fans connected directly to the motherboard will only be detected by speedfan or any other program.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

LOL. no. the only reliable temp program is CORE TEMP. real temp always gives everyone 5-10 degree Celsius cooler temp so it is VERY misleading. do NOT use crap temp i mean real temp.

Blah DTMM

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I'm not sure where they are connected to, I ended up just having the computer store put the computer together for me because I didn't ever have time to do it myself. But the fans are all clearly working, so I'm assuming that they aren't showing up in SpeedFan becuase they are connected to the power supply.

And now I don't know what program to trust, I'd like to think that Real Temp works because my idle temps were 10 C lower than Core Temp, but maybe it's wrong? Gah. Either way isn't 60 - 65 C for a full load a bit high? Considering I haven't overclocked yet?

soark

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Reseat the cooler, or consider buying an aftermarket cooler.
I have a q6000 OC to 3.0 and I have lower temperatures..