super high pitched noise

asianants

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
In regards to the subject, has anyone ever notice a super high pitch noise after they have turned off their computer?? sounds like its powering down... i have an OCZ GameXstream 700w PSU.... i hear it when i turn off the comp and flip the switch on the back of the PSU........

Kari

Splendid
not from a psu, but my LCD monitor whines when it's turned off. If I unplug it the noise lowers pitch and fades away. It's been doing it for 4 years so it's not fatal :)

asianants

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
i know for a fact its from my PSU kuz i put my ear right next to it... ahahah....

im just afraid its not shorting or anything.... my previous psu died on me and took along with it the mobo, cpu and harddrives =\

Yup, a PSU whines like that when it's being pushed too hard. With a 700W unit it seems unlikely that you are pushing it unless your running triple SLi or something, so yeah it could just be a defective PSU that may die soon. RMA it if you can.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
It could have something to do with the Noise Suppresion switch built in the Zalman PSUs. Mine is always set to ON, and never heard anything when i switch it off. I haven't tried it at the OFF position though to see if it really makes a difference. Bottom line, Zalman Heatpiped PSUs are extremely silent! Came first in silence, in the roundups i have read.

If it happens when you power down then turn off the switch, it is the power supply discharging power it has been storing in its capacitors. It will not hurt anything. It should not be excessively loud.

I still have a Antec SmartPower from the Sonata II's initial release(2005) and it does that when I hit the switch. I have never turned off any other psu switch so i can not comment

It does not make this sound when running? Also note that coils can buzz(varying pitch) and even that does not always give a sign of failure. I have 2 video cards that do that because of the coils in the power system.