sgt bombulous

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Howdy. I'm looking at getting an SSD in the next 6 months to run my OS. It doesn't need to be big - at all. I plan to run programs only, the only exception would be installing games on it if there were any advantage in that. One thing that I noticed is that Intel has a 40 GB model (I think 40 GB would be enough space), but it's write speed is awful compared to many other models (intel 80 GB, or the Kingstons etc...). Kind of wondering what's up with that.

Thanks!

Solution
When you're evaluating an SSD and your goal is to get your system to boot and start applications faster, the write speeds are pretty much the least important thing to worry about. What you should pay the most attention to is the access time, which is shown in "random read I/Os per second" benchmarks.
When you're evaluating an SSD and your goal is to get your system to boot and start applications faster, the write speeds are pretty much the least important thing to worry about. What you should pay the most attention to is the access time, which is shown in "random read I/Os per second" benchmarks.

Solution

sgt bombulous

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

So then this unit would make a very suitable boot drive? As long as it is an improvement over my 7200 RPM seagate that I'm using as a boot drive now, the mission has been fulfilled.

sgt bombulous

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

But... If there is something similar or better in this price range I'm open to suggestions. There's nothing worse than buying something only to find out you could have spent 10~15% more on something better. That's my main concern. Thanks for your help!