upgrade dual, triple or quad core

the_ub

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Hey Tomsanites,

Im gonna upgrade my system for tax season, and id like a few words of wisdom

While looking at my mobos specs on gigabytes webpage, http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2434 , i discovered that x3's and x4's are supported on my system, but the HT is lowered to 1.0.

so, i was originally looking at a x2 6000+ for 75 dollars, but in light of new discoveries, would i get more performance with a x4 or x3? im a gamer, and i know that games are starting to support multi-cores. but on the other hand, the x3s and x4s are clocked lower than the 3.1 6000+. the few trip/quad cores supported by my mobo are up to a x4 9650 @ 2.3 or a x3 8650 @2.3 ghz.

as it stands, im still leaning towards the 6000+, but i just wanted yalls advice or confirmation.

thx a bunch

For gaming I would go with the 6000+. First of all, there have been some issues with backwards compatibility with Phenoms. Second, many new games are starting to use dual core but only a few are really going quad. In dual threads or less, the 6000 will destroy those low clocked phenoms.

the_ub

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008

well, im on a budget, and im just looking to upgrade, not start anew.

Ah, i didnt know about the backwards compatibility issues. well thanks for the input, im just gonna stick with the 6000+ than. thanks for your reply.

TRENDING THREADS