Include a GPU?

Oscar_33

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I plan to build a computer with an i7 2600 cpu (NOT a 2600k). The computer will not be used for gaming. I'm hoping that this computer will make internet sites come up more quickly than my old computer and just make everything happen very quickly. Will adding a GPU card help with this?

Thanks

Solution
You do not need to upgrade anything on that PC except the RAM and a new Windows installation. A new system will be quite a bit peppier, and will boot up faster, but a 3 gig P4 system with a couple of gig of RAM will be just fine for web browsing, and will even run HD movies with a cheap $30-40 video card. I've got a 1.9 gig Pentium M system with 1.5 gig of RAM running HD streaming from Netflix with just a bit of slowness at times, usually it's perfect.

My advice would be to buy 1-2 gig of RAM, and since I'm betting your 3 gig P4 system has a PCIe slot, get a cheap Radeon 3450 to accelerate video. Should be a $100 or so for hardware. Then re-install Windows. You may want to replace the hard-drive, that will keep you from an extra...
I don't think it will make a difference, even the integrated can handle web browsing with ease, even flash intensive sites. Also if you're buying an i7 just to surf than the same goes for that, a pentium g has plenty of power for just browsing.

Oscar_33

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I have an 8 year old Dell with a Pentium 4 (3 Ghz) cpu and 1 Gig of RAM. OS is Win XP SP3. It seems to take forever for IE8 to come up when I go to my home page, and then things in general just don't move fast.

You do not need to upgrade anything on that PC except the RAM and a new Windows installation. A new system will be quite a bit peppier, and will boot up faster, but a 3 gig P4 system with a couple of gig of RAM will be just fine for web browsing, and will even run HD movies with a cheap $30-40 video card. I've got a 1.9 gig Pentium M system with 1.5 gig of RAM running HD streaming from Netflix with just a bit of slowness at times, usually it's perfect.

My advice would be to buy 1-2 gig of RAM, and since I'm betting your 3 gig P4 system has a PCIe slot, get a cheap Radeon 3450 to accelerate video. Should be a $100 or so for hardware. Then re-install Windows. You may want to replace the hard-drive, that will keep you from an extra step of backing up and restoring your files, just use the original drive as a secondary and copy your files, favorites back over to the new setup.

$150 with the drive, and you are set. I'm guessing you have not re-installed windows in several years if ever, and are running god knows how many add-ons and spyware in there.

Solution