Zalman 9700 causing computer to not POST

amdgamer666

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
So I installed a new blu-ray drive and 4 more gigs of ram in my computer and then I go to turn it on and it won't post. I thought it was pretty strange so i connnected them to another mobo that i have handy and they worked like a charm. So my first thought was that my mobo coincidentally died about when i installed it, but then i tried the cpu from the other mobo and it worked fine. then just for the hell of it i used the heatsink from that cpu on my main cpu and it still worked like a charm. I figured it was just a fluke that it didn't work the first time and proceded to installing the 9700 with AS5 again thinking it would work and got the same problem that i originally had so i came to the conclusion that the 9700 is causing it to not work. does any body have any ideas as to why something like this would happen and/or a way of fixing it? If that's not possible, that's ok with me cause i just realized that newegg has a 1 year replacement on it. fyi, the 9700 is the nvidia edition (even though i am an ati guy cause it looks so much sweeter) which means it has a 4 pin connector. mobo: gigabyte ga-ma790gp-ds4h, cpu: 9850 BE, ram: 8 gigs gskill ddr2-800. Thanks in advance.

amdgamer666

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
yeah i know i fitted it properly and i used AS5. I actually heard from somebody on a different forum site that it's a loose connection somewhere between the fan connector and the main circuit board on the zalman itself. It made sense to me and sure enough i just jiggling the wire and got it to successfully POST. The end result is that i am gonna RMA it cause i know it won't last long before the connection is lost again and it won't boot up. I definitely need a heatsink that works all of the time and not part of the time. Anyway thanks for at least attempting to figure it out

aju12

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Hm this sound like the pwm function related problem which you can solve by going into bios. There is menu something like smart fan setting which you can change. set it up either auto or pwm regulated. If the cpu is too cold the fan will not turn even if computer is turn on but turn which entering gaming when cpu heats up. Dont think its cooler problem IMO.