Phenom II x2 550 unlocked and overclocked

Last response: in Overclocking
December 13, 2009 4:16:28 PM

I just built my first computer with the following:
AMD Phenom II x2 550 BE
Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P Motherboard
4 GB GSKILL ram 1333 MHz
HIS Radeon 4670 Video card

I just unlocked the 4 cores successfully and overclocked it to 3.3 GHz (stock 3.1). I have been running prime95 for about 2 hours on large fft. My core temperature is 67 degrees. I think this is too high. I don't really want to buy an aftermarket heatsink. Should I relock the cores, step down the overclock, or is this temperature okay with the prime95 test?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
December 13, 2009 4:27:17 PM

also running Windows 7 Release Candidate
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2009 6:05:04 PM

That temperature is fine, you will not hurt anything. Also , you will never play a game or run apps that mirror prime 95 or Intel burn test. They flood every transistor with 1's. Use Hardware monitor, clear min/max - play a game and or trnascode a couple videos and check your temps then. Running dual core vs quad core, the quad will run hotter always.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2009 2:16:16 AM

If the CPU temp is 67c then yes it is too hot, but I doubt those are legit temps unless you put too much paste or you did not seat the cooler properly. Now if you are judging by individual core temp then yes that is normal. My suggestion is that you monitor your temps using 2 programs just to compare. You can use CoreTemp and speedfan among others.....Once you unlock your 550 some programs will not let you read individual core temps/CPU temp or vice-versa.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2009 3:15:43 AM

Seems kind of high for only a 3.3Ghz clock. What's your vcore? If you're using the default vcore then you may have simply put the stock cooler on improperly. The stock cooler isn't the greatest but it should be able to handle any overclock using the default vcore. If you had to raise the vcore though to get the other cores stable then you either have to lower it, or get a better cooler.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2009 3:39:40 AM

67 degrees is dangerous high, that's very close to system shut off range. The standard temp for the auto shut off is 70 degrees soo..... yeeah.
m
l
December 14, 2009 3:28:23 PM

As soon as I turned off the prime95 test the temperature dropped to 51, and then after a minute or two it dropped down to 43. Running HWmonitor in the background while doing the 3dmark06 test didn't register above 50, so I think I'm all right there.

I haven't found a program yet that can read the individual core temperatures. I've tried HWmonitor, AMD overdrive, speedfan. So I'm using the Tempin2 reading for my core reading.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2009 3:35:24 PM

You don't need to know your individual core temp. Just go by overall CPU temp and you will be fine.
m
l
December 14, 2009 7:27:29 PM

67c is NOT TOO HOT and is NOT CLOSE TO THE SHUT OFF POINT, look here:

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=...

The shut off point should be between 90c-110c. Not that it isn't safe to have the processor hit anything over 70c. For a Prime 95 run that is acceptable, you will never be able to replicate that in any real world scenario regardless of whether the CPU is fully at 100% load.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2009 7:48:00 PM

AMW1011 said:
67c is NOT TOO HOT and is NOT CLOSE TO THE SHUT OFF POINT, look here:

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=...

The shut off point should be between 90c-110c. Not that it isn't safe to have the processor hit anything over 70c. For a Prime 95 run that is acceptable, you will never be able to replicate that in any real world scenario regardless of whether the CPU is fully at 100% load.

Sir, I think you are confused... The Phenoms cannot do more than 70c, normally if they go over 70c they shut down automatically. The link that you posted clearly states 70c under "Max Temps".

m
l
December 14, 2009 9:13:59 PM

AMW, that link you posted even says that the max temp is 70c. I can't say I know the shut off for the 550BE because I've yet to install mine but my Athlon 6000+ shut off when it hit 71c.

67 degrees seems rather hot to me and if it was my chip, and in the 60c+, I would ditch the OC and let the thing not stress itself out. There is no reason to run your chip that hot if you don't have too and you're really not going to notice a huge difference with 200mhz.

I do want to comment on the HSF though. I recently purchased a 550be, and I have to say the HSF is really not conducive to overclocking, it's rather weak. You could purchase a much more efficient cooler for very little $.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2009 10:17:37 PM

Kithzaru said:
AMW, that link you posted even says that the max temp is 70c. I can't say I know the shut off for the 550BE because I've yet to install mine but my Athlon 6000+ shut off when it hit 71c.

67 degrees seems rather hot to me and if it was my chip, and in the 60c+, I would ditch the OC and let the thing not stress itself out. There is no reason to run your chip that hot if you don't have too and you're really not going to notice a huge difference with 200mhz.

I do want to comment on the HSF though. I recently purchased a 550be, and I have to say the HSF is really not conducive to overclocking, it's rather weak. You could purchase a much more efficient cooler for very little $.

+1 ^^^

You can get a cheap 30 dollar cooler that can do this :

3.6Ghz (Idle) / Ambient at 23c :

or better yet, 3.9Ghz (LOAD) 35 min of large FFT's / Ambient at 21c :

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

m
l
December 15, 2009 12:02:24 AM

Well its true the last AMD box I made was using an Anthlon X2 5000+ and the motherboard said that it would shut the PC off at 90c and my POS Intel/SLI boards shuts itself off at 100-110c, though I have never hit either that is what they said.

Besides, the temps are high and I would not go any higher with the OC without better cooling, but I don't think they're doing any damage that high and besides, if he lays off the Prim 95 he will likely ever hit 60c anyway.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2009 3:22:57 AM

Nope..... Its 70... Many people state it already. Boards are different that the CPU itself.
And Many others on the forums, other than who posted, say the 70 degree mark is really hot too....
m
l
December 22, 2009 1:50:27 PM

megamanx00 said:
Seems kind of high for only a 3.3Ghz clock. What's your vcore? If you're using the default vcore then you may have simply put the stock cooler on improperly. The stock cooler isn't the greatest but it should be able to handle any overclock using the default vcore. If you had to raise the vcore though to get the other cores stable then you either have to lower it, or get a better cooler.

What is vcore? If it is the core voltage, then I didn't change it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 3:07:48 PM

If left on auto, the mobo will decide the voltages needed for your chip. This often results in voltages that are actually higher than they need to be, resulting in more heat than you might see otherwise manually setting the voltages.

Others who have unlocked and OC'd these chips can give you a better idea of what the voltage should be, but from my experience with Phenom IIs in general, I am guesstimating that 1.4-1.425v should be enough to run the B50 at 3.3ghz.stable
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2009 3:14:33 PM

Yea 1.4v is more than enough at 3.3Ghz. I use 1.35v at 3.2Ghz as a B50 and bit over 1.5v for 4.2Ghz. But it all depends on the mobo as well, some like more juice n some like less....
m
l
December 25, 2009 11:00:56 PM

OvrClkr said:
Yea 1.4v is more than enough at 3.3Ghz. I use 1.35v at 3.2Ghz as a B50 and bit over 1.5v for 4.2Ghz. But it all depends on the mobo as well, some like more juice n some like less....

Cool, I didn't really get that much into it. I have the Gigabyte 770 UD3P mobo. Does anybody have any more specific info on that one? If I can keep the heat under control I might want to OC it more, so that would be useful information.
m
l
January 25, 2010 12:55:35 PM

guessing you got this off newegg I did same build got the same mobo cpu and video card video card so quite right I love it :)  I am running it as a 4core 3.5ghz 1.425volts idels at 28c getting 51c max after 2 hours of prime95 I check my temp with easytune6 (comes with your mobo drivers disc) and amd overdrive your temps are high though not to high however if you play games for extended time and the room your in gets hotter could cause system issues but that depends on your ventilation I my self never use stock coolers unless I'm not going to overclock should spend the 20-30 dollars on a better cpu cooler and I must say this system was so cheap great build for the money cpu is rated 7.3 in windows7 and got a cpu mark 4666.7 using passmark dunno what that means though
m
l
!