Raid benchmark opinions???

cs82575

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Ok guys, just need some input here,, Just finished building this system ...quick specs

Intel i7 920
EVGA X58 Classified mobo
6G DDR3 ram ...for now

2 western digital caviar black 1 TB running in Raid0

I just wanted to know if these performance specs look ok to you .... This is my first time truely playing with RAID... I know the risks of running in Raid 0 I just wanted to experiment so to speak ... It looks like some people are getting alot faster speeds.. just wanted a few opinions

HDTune_Benchmark_Intel___Raid_0_Vol.png
[/img]

Solution
Seems right there. You would probably show slighty higher scores if you set Delay to a higher value (like 10 seconds).

No obvious performance problems here. Of course your IOps rate is pretty low. But you would need an SSD to solve that. For now, you should have a very good experience as far as HDDs go.

Keeping data tidy on your HDD and at the correct location will help to keep your performance level straight. For example, the C: drive should be the first partition and preferably small, so it stays within the fastest portion of your volume.

sub mesa

Distinguished
First impression: looks fine. You enabled write caching by the looks of your burst rate.

Please run both the File Benchmark and the Random Access benchmark as well as post the screenshots here.

Also, please post a normal benchmark screenshot with the short-stroke option disabled; as this caps the tested area to the first 35GB so we can't see the effect of inner tracks yielding lower performance.

What stripesize did you use when you created the RAID?

cs82575

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

Thank you for your help. I really do appreciate it A LOT. I made the stripe size0 ..is that good or bad ?? Here is the rest of the information you asked for. Hope it helps.. I am still learning about Raid so I am a newbie in this area.. Some of it's kind of confusing to be honest with ya. Also I did not set up any partitions or anything. I striped brand new drives to 0 and installed windows 7 ..These are the results

_Random_Access_Intel___Raid_0_Volum.png

File_Benchmark_Intel___Raid_0_Volum.png

Benchmark_Intel___Raid_0_Volume.png

cs82575

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

I will rerun the other 2 now..... Im sorry yes it is 128 stripe...I was thinking about 2 things at once sorry

cs82575

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

HDTune_File_Benchmark_Intel___Raid_.png

sub mesa

Distinguished
Seems right there. You would probably show slighty higher scores if you set Delay to a higher value (like 10 seconds).

No obvious performance problems here. Of course your IOps rate is pretty low. But you would need an SSD to solve that. For now, you should have a very good experience as far as HDDs go.

Keeping data tidy on your HDD and at the correct location will help to keep your performance level straight. For example, the C: drive should be the first partition and preferably small, so it stays within the fastest portion of your volume.

Solution

cs82575

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

Thank you ever so much for your help and time I really appreciate it :)