Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Raid benchmark opinions???

Last response: in Storage
Share
February 16, 2010 3:29:34 PM



Ok guys, just need some input here,, Just finished building this system ...quick specs

Intel i7 920
EVGA X58 Classified mobo
6G DDR3 ram ...for now

2 western digital caviar black 1 TB running in Raid0

I just wanted to know if these performance specs look ok to you .... This is my first time truely playing with RAID... I know the risks of running in Raid 0 I just wanted to experiment so to speak ... It looks like some people are getting alot faster speeds.. just wanted a few opinions







" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

More about : raid benchmark opinions

a c 127 G Storage
February 16, 2010 8:43:23 PM

First impression: looks fine. You enabled write caching by the looks of your burst rate.

Please run both the File Benchmark and the Random Access benchmark as well as post the screenshots here.

Also, please post a normal benchmark screenshot with the short-stroke option disabled; as this caps the tested area to the first 35GB so we can't see the effect of inner tracks yielding lower performance.

What stripesize did you use when you created the RAID?
m
0
l
February 16, 2010 10:25:58 PM

sub mesa said:
First impression: looks fine. You enabled write caching by the looks of your burst rate.

Please run both the File Benchmark and the Random Access benchmark as well as post the screenshots here.

Also, please post a normal benchmark screenshot with the short-stroke option disabled; as this caps the tested area to the first 35GB so we can't see the effect of inner tracks yielding lower performance.

What stripesize did you use when you created the RAID?


Thank you for your help. I really do appreciate it A LOT. I made the stripe size0 ..is that good or bad ?? Here is the rest of the information you asked for. Hope it helps.. I am still learning about Raid so I am a newbie in this area.. Some of it's kind of confusing to be honest with ya. Also I did not set up any partitions or anything. I striped brand new drives to 0 and installed windows 7 ..These are the results






m
0
l
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
February 16, 2010 11:18:20 PM

The last two screenshots are not proper:

screenshot #2: please set the file size to the highest value
screenshot #3: you didn't let it finish

These tests may take a long time though.
m
0
l
a c 127 G Storage
February 16, 2010 11:19:25 PM

Oh and your stripesize can't be 0, it has to be something like 4KiB (4096 bytes) up to 128KiB (131072 bytes) and possibly even higher.

You should set it to 128KiB, generally the highest setting.
m
0
l
February 16, 2010 11:45:37 PM

sub mesa said:
Oh and your stripesize can't be 0, it has to be something like 4KiB (4096 bytes) up to 128KiB (131072 bytes) and possibly even higher.

You should set it to 128KiB, generally the highest setting.


I will rerun the other 2 now..... Im sorry yes it is 128 stripe...I was thinking about 2 things at once sorry
m
0
l
February 16, 2010 11:56:41 PM

sub mesa said:
Oh and your stripesize can't be 0, it has to be something like 4KiB (4096 bytes) up to 128KiB (131072 bytes) and possibly even higher.

You should set it to 128KiB, generally the highest setting.

m
0
l

Best solution

a c 127 G Storage
February 17, 2010 10:12:43 AM

Seems right there. You would probably show slighty higher scores if you set Delay to a higher value (like 10 seconds).

No obvious performance problems here. Of course your IOps rate is pretty low. But you would need an SSD to solve that. For now, you should have a very good experience as far as HDDs go.

Keeping data tidy on your HDD and at the correct location will help to keep your performance level straight. For example, the C: drive should be the first partition and preferably small, so it stays within the fastest portion of your volume.
Share
February 17, 2010 11:39:07 AM

sub mesa said:
Seems right there. You would probably show slighty higher scores if you set Delay to a higher value (like 10 seconds).

No obvious performance problems here. Of course your IOps rate is pretty low. But you would need an SSD to solve that. For now, you should have a very good experience as far as HDDs go.

Keeping data tidy on your HDD and at the correct location will help to keep your performance level straight. For example, the C: drive should be the first partition and preferably small, so it stays within the fastest portion of your volume.



Thank you ever so much for your help and time I really appreciate it :-)
m
0
l
February 17, 2010 11:39:26 AM

Best answer selected by cs82575.
m
0
l
!