Need help and advice for overclocking using BIOs

Questeighty

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hey guys. I am playing Crysis Warhead and I realized that the hardware I am using is not powerful enough to play it on the hi-res and quality. Playing it on 1200 x 1024 at Very High gives me 3 - 5 FPS :heink: I have thought about buying new hardware but I decided to give a try in overclocking my CPU and VGA.

Here are my computer specs:

Motherboard: Asus M2N68-AM (supports BIOs)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x 2 4600 (2.4 GHz)
VGA: Asus EN9500GT MAGIC (512MB)
RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 4GB Kit 800 (2 x 2 GB)

I started to read articles about overclocking VGAs and CPUs recently. I get the main concept but I do not know how to actually get the 2.4 on my CPU to go up. I tried to use the BIOs setup to overclock but I know which configuration I should raise to get the maximum out of my CPU. For Configure System Frequency on my BIOs Setup - Advanced... I have:

AI Overclocking [Auto / Manual]
CPU Frequency [200 - 300] (Normally at 200)
PCIE Overclocking [Auto / Manual]
PCIE Frequency [100 - 150] (Normally at 100)

CPU Ratio and Voltage
Processor Freq. Multiplier [Auto / 1600 x 8 / 1700 x 8.5 / 1800 x9 / 1900 x 9.5 / 2000 x 10 / 2100 x 10.5 / 2200 x 11 / 2300 x 11.5 / 2400 x 12]
Processor Voltage [Power Saving Mode / Standard / + 50W / + 100w]

so...
1) At what spec should I raise my CPU to get the most?
2) What can I use to overclock my 9500GT and how to do so?

Any advice is good, and thank you very much if you can give me steps to do so.

Solution
Oh...your mobo don't have chipset AMD, is nVidia chipset. Don't try to install again you can't install this on you system.

For OC you processor, from the BIOS, start to rise the CPU frecuency in small incrise, BUT be careful with the RAM frecuency, set the timings of this manually in the BIOS.

For OC your GPU, download and use Riva tuner.

Questeighty

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
well Im not sure which to upgrade.
its either i upgrade CPU or GPU.
if i get a new GPU, it would be 9800 GTX since its in my budget, but then the CPU will be a bottleneck.

if i get a new CPU, the GPU will be a bottle neck.

so i need to find a way to oc one of these so i dont need to buy two things.

i read it, but its pretty confusing cuz im still a newbie at OCing.

i dont get which clocks to increase for the FSB.

is it possible for you to give me some sort of steps to get teh FSB up?

thank you very much

Oh...your mobo don't have chipset AMD, is nVidia chipset. Don't try to install again you can't install this on you system.

For OC you processor, from the BIOS, start to rise the CPU frecuency in small incrise, BUT be careful with the RAM frecuency, set the timings of this manually in the BIOS.

For OC your GPU, download and use Riva tuner.

Solution

Questeighty

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
ummm... this motherboard has the GF 7025/nForce 630a Chipset which i believe is nVidia though.

ok, for the CPU, do i need to add any voltages to it? its either: Power Saving Mode / Standard / +50 / +100
the RAM frequency doesnt give as much options. starts from 200, then 266 then 333 then some other numbers that i forgot about

haha, ive been so desperate that i tried almost every OCing software out there.
i have EVGA Precision and Rivatuner to OCing
crysis benchmarker to benchmark the FPS
Systool to stress and test the CPU after OCing it.

recently, i have been getting experiencing the screen fuzzing, then freezing, then blue screen. after, i turned down the CPU freq, then re-raised it and its fine now. any explanations?

TRENDING THREADS