osiris2k8

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
hey everyone I have a tough decision to make I am planning on buying one of these 2 monitors after looking around sounds like the best 24" for the money.

First off the Samsung SM245B+ which I'm sure you all know about for £260
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130991/show_product_reviews?offset=40&review_type=both&review_order_by=RUF

Secondy the LGW2452T for £220
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145011/show_product_reviews

I intend to do gaming on this monitor as well as home theatre system with a TV Freeview card.

Thank you I await your replies

aj95

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
the LG looks very nice. lets see
i would take the samsung though. they got the same resolution. if i was you i would take the samsung.

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
yeah,

What's the diffrence between samsung and lg?
i've got a feeling lg is something like a daughter company. they have both 'equal' looking mobile phones, tv's are looking similar...

and desktop screens: both have 2ms technologie grey to grey, i don't see much companies having 2 ms response time. does someone know?

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

Their is no corporate realtionship. I don't even think they partner on any products. That being said, their are only so many people prodviding the LCD 'glass' out there, so its likely they are sourced from the same manuf. That pretty much is how the tech industry has broken down. Vendors A,B,C sell products that all use parts from manuf. X,Y,Z. The only differentiating factor being the QA/QC of the parts at manuf. and vendor level. Oh and designs are slightly different to.

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
:) thanks for your answer,

i've got samsung, i love it! i don't have experience about lg, but i only know that the mobile phones aren't so good.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I'd go with Samsung (40 pounds well spent). I have the 26" version of the Samsung and couldn't be happier. Some say that there is a serious backlight bleed. There is not, the bezel is VERY shiny, and reflects things on screen (I move my cursor to the edge of the screen and can see it clearly reflected in the Bezel). The fix I have found is either 1. Scuff the bezel* with sandpaper (voids the warranty) or 2. Electrical tape (pulls off, and will not void the warranty).

*the inside edge that is against the LCD screen

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I personally like LG's designs better for monitors and they were the first company to bring about the contrast ratio war. Although contrast ratio isn't really something you should base your decision on, I've had no problems with my current 17" LG LCD monitor.

One problem that recent LG monitors have (even up to the 22" monitors) is that they don't include a DVI cable even when you're paying 200+ dollars which is why some people might side with Samsung. I personally don't really care and since I prefer LG's design more I probably will go with LG anyways.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
i would go for the samsung model

if you look at the specs, it lists the color support: 24bit (16.7 million color) which means that the samsung is an 8bit per color panel, which means it can actually show 16.7 million different colors without using something called dithering (which basically is faking the missing colors)

the LG does not list any color specs which leads me to believe it is a 6bit panel which means that the color rendition will SUCK on the LG for things like movies and some games

the price difference also leads me to believe the more expensive samsung is 8bit while the LG is most likely 6bit.

the samsung also has a 3 year warranty while the LG only has 2
the samsung also has height, swivel, tilt adjustments

EDIT
-----

to put in perspective the diff between 6bit and 8bit panels in terms of colors available take a quick look at this

8bit = (2^8)^3 = 16.7 million

6bit = (2^6)^3 = 262,144

so the 6bit panel is really does suck.

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008

his point was that LG is cheaper because it uses the 6bit system to produce 16.7 million colors which uses (dithering) while samsung doesn't.

One problem you have to remember that some samsung monitors (espeially the current cheap one 225 something...) is that they have a bit of light bleed on the bottom of the monitor which I've read reviews on LG monitors do not. So I it's really a matter of preference. Some people had a bad experience with LG while people like me totally embrace it.

kinozawa

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I think LG is better instead. Why? Look at this spec:

Power
Complies with EPA Energy Star
Power Supply 100-240V
Power Consumption Normal Usage: 45W
Stand-by Usage: 1W

Features Surface Treatment: Anti-glare, Hard coating (3H)
VESA Mounting: Yes (100mm x 100mm)
f-ENGINE
sRGB
Pb Free
DDC/CI
Intelligent Auto (Auto Resolution)
eZ Zooming (Hot Key)

Let's take a look on Samsung:

Power
Power Consumption 55 Watt

Features Plug and Play: DDC 2B
MagicBright3, High Glossy Black

On the warranty parts, both brand have the same period of 3 years parts and labor services and both support 16.7 million of colors which is 8bit.

I was using SAMSUNG brand before, it sucks more energy than LG. Anyway, by latest release of SAMSUNG found that contrast ratio cannot beat LG with 70,000:1. So, i bet they're better than SAMSUNG brand. Luckily, i got the DVI cable on my new LG's W2253TQ-PF LCD series.