Cooler/Fan Orientation Question

anchorjim

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I mounted a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cooler inside a Coolermaster HAF 922 case. When I did it, I oriented the cooler and fans so that air flows from the bottom through the coolers to the top. However, when I looked at pictures of other people's builds, I noticed that they all seem to mount the cooler/fans with air flowing from the front to the rear.

Have I made a major error or is my orientation OK? I was thinking it would be better to go with bottom to top to take advantage of the big fan at the top of the HAF 922, but not I'm nervous since all the pictures I see go the other way.

The standard configuration is a cpu heatsink installed so that the heatsink fan blows through the heatsink toward the exhaust fan on the rear panel. The heatsink fan and the exhaust fan on the rear panel work together to cool the cpu and exhaust hot air. You've already noticed that in the photos. The fans on the top panel are supplementary exhaust fans. The fans at the bottom front and side panel are intake fans that blow cool air into the case. The fans at the bottom front are the primary intake fans and the fans on a side panel are supplementary intake fans that can help cool the video card and/or the cpu.

Your configuration is not a disaster. You're system just isn't being cooled as well as it could be. You should consider changing your heatsinks orientation.

Conumdrum - The fan on the top panel is a larger, low rpm, 200mm fan. The 922 configuration is similar to my 932. I just put my hand near both fans. The fan on the rear panel of the 932 is definetely exhausting more air than the one on the top panel. It is quite noticeable. At least it feels like it is. I have no way to take an accurate measurement.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Yea, but the heat won't be trapped there at least. All he can do is check temps. Might be fine, might not be. My guess it's gonna be fine.

A 200mm fan probably pulls more actual air due to it's large size, who knows for sure. My 900 worked fine, lot like your case. But that was over 2 years ago when I decided to go tech stations.

inuitdave

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Just buy a Xigmatek or any direct touch heatsink and drill several pinhole size holes directly into the pipes ...you want the heat to escape off your cpu right ? , Not hold the heat in ? You don't even have to lap your cpu .. and then get a 5 litre bucket of ice and 3 litres of h20 and pour it directly on top of your head ...but saftey first ..close your eyes and pinch your nostrils off , and have a dry towel ready because you will get a chill. Bah ha hah ..( Do not lap your Direct Touch Heatsink or drill holes into your heatsink pipes ) ...Do Not , get a 5 litre bucket of ice and 3 litres of h20 and pour it directly on top of your head .. Pour it on your friends head...Bah

CPU ... Amd Phenom II x 4 955 BE- C3 ( Stable @ 3.7 ) Prime95 @ 8 / hrs
CPU Cooler....Xigmatek Dark Knight (it is supplied with thermal compound )

RAM....OCZ Amd Black Edition 4 gigs( 2 x 2 gigs) ( Super easy , two clicks on your mouse and you have won the battle ) You will have to research ( 8 or more gigs of RAM on the Crosshair III formula )
Case ....I built two with ( Haf 922 ) and ( Storm Sniper Black Edition ) Every component fits ( With out the side fan ) :( ( Not a big deal ) : ) The haf 922 and the haf 932 , And the Storm Sniper cases , have really good air flo no problem with air flo on these cases . On over clocking your processor , overclocking your processor , will decrease the life of you processor , ( and your warranty will be void ) No refund . . . .Oh , guess what, One year from now , every component in your pc will be obsolete , I,m gonna need two jobs just to boot my comp..... : ) Peace
MotherBoard ... Asus... ( Crosshair III Formula )
PSU ... Corsair 750hx Modular ...NOTE...( 750tx ) is not modular

I , myself would buy a monitor localy ( just incase it has a few dead pixels or ?) that way you can take care of the problem down the street ( not across the continent ) or over seas ...
I would not want to pay $25 shipping ( If your monitor is defective )
Doing some research on your own , well help you decide what you want on a Pc or on you own brain or even if you want to snip off your toenails that look like fritos bar b q corn chips ...Remember ..Research First .

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

I have no idea what your talking about so I'm not sure what is wrong or right. Rather to say the least not sure what you were trying to say.

Lots of words, but it passed like a afrt in the wind. Gone now, never got smelled by anyone.

shovenose

Distinguished
well abotu the heatsink thing, you will mess up the optimal airflow in your case if you mount the coolr with the fan pullign air up. it is meant to be pulling air back toward the rear exhaist fan, as others already said. however, though you may have an average system temp increase by maybe 1 degree or so im guessing you probably dont need to bother changin it