While I'm waiting for Asus RMA decision...

This is harder than the High-Def TV decision-process of last Spring/Summer...

My MB is dead and at Asus...The Asus/RMA process I've been told here takes 3-4 weeks, so...I've had too much time to read/consider different options if I have to get a new MB...(see "sig")...(I will OC...)

If I stay w/ a P45/775 MB, it is because:
*Performance is still excellent NOW (son & I are gamers) ...
*Price difference is significant...already have E8400 cpu, RAM, cooler, and XP-Pro
Considering these:
*Asus P5Q-D (DDR2)
*Asus Formula Maximus II (DDR2)
*Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 (DDR2)
*Gigabyte GA-EP45T-Extreme(DDR3)
*Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
*Asus P5Q3-D(DDR3)

If I go with X58/i7 MB...
*a lot more money, (new cpu, new RAM, new cooler, new Vista 64 bit OS...) for what, 15-
20% more performance?
*it would be fun, though...
*if I go this route, then these are the MB's I'm considering...
>Asus P6T-WS Revolution, or....

What do you think?
10 answers Last reply
More about while waiting asus decision
  1. Asus P5Q-Deluxe or pro
    or
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 (I have x48-DQ6, love it)
  2. bbtennis1 said:

If I go with X58/i7 MB...
    *a lot more money, (new cpu, new RAM, new cooler, new Vista 64 bit OS...) for what, 15-
    20% more performance?
    *it would be fun, though...

I agree, in your situation i7 is not the best route... unless you have an extra $700 laying around :) maybe dont buy the wifes smokes/liquer... then i7! :)
  3. grieve...

The MB you have...is it the same as the one I listed? That "DQ6" XBit Labs called the "best OC'ing 775 board"
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/ga-ep45-dq6.html

...wow... I would have the E8400(3.0ghz) cpu...have you OC'd it hard?

I have been an "Asus" man for the last 9 yrs or so, my last non-Asus MB was the Abit BH-6...so, I have to say I am leaning to Asus...have you seen that Asus P6T-WS Revolution MB? wow....
  4. I havnt pushed the DQ6 very hard, im running a Q9550 @ 3.4GHZ. I know the board has a lot more left... processor heat is restricting further OC for me, the Boards temps are fine.
  5. I just found a review of the Gigabyte GA-EP45T-Extreme...have to run an errand now...will read when I come back...looks quite awesome though....

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=201&Itemid=69

I don't know if this guy is a "fanboy" of Gigabyte...(he has had very fair & good reviews on other components I'm familiar with) will have to check other sites as well...Anand's, Tom's, XBit, etc...
  6. One prob with that board is DDR3... DDR3 offers minimal gains (if any in some cases) for a lot of moneys.
    The exception being x58/i7 as the memory is on-die unlike other Intel quad and dualcore systems.
  7. So, on a P45/775 platform, the DDR3's price is not worth it for the little gain you get...

Ok, then the Gigabyte GA-EP45 Extreme w/ DDR2....??
  8. Yes, DDr2 is the way to go unless you are purchasing an X58/i7
  9. I'm down to the following MB's:

Asus P5Q-D
    Asus Formula MaximusII
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
    GA-EP45-Extreme
    GA-EP45-UD3P

What do you think?

And, will that memory in my "sig" be fast enough for the new MB, and OC'ing my E8400 to @ 3.6-4.3??

Thx

Brian
  10. Corsair 6400C4 ? yes that will work on the new board... OC potential is impossible to know untill you try, Every motherboard is different.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Asus DDR2 Gigabyte Product