1 FPS with GPU??

tewbad

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
I have just finished building my new system and I'm getting frustrated with the graphics. I have tried playing portal and it freezes every 5 seconds (looks great when working though). I just tried the 3dMark benchmark test and never got above 1 FPS! My temps are all <50C. My Power supply is 550W. Any ideas??

Mainboard : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD K9AG Neo2-Digital
Chipset : AMD RS690/RS690M
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ @ 3000 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Monitor Type : LG Electronics W1952 - 19 inches
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate Professional 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1
DirectX : Version 10

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
THe FPS you were referring to was probably the CPU test in 3D Mark. From my understanding, there's not CPU out there that can get more than 3 FPS in that test.

By freezing, do you mean, stuttering? Or...?

well, first of all, the 8500 isn't such a great card. having said that, go into the nvidia control panel/advanced/program settings/+global, and make sure the settings for most things are set to global or set to application controlled. Down where it says multi display mixed.... select single display option. see if this helps any. And down where it says how many pre-rendered frames... try 3 and don't set to zero or 1.

dozer63

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
when you installed your chipset drivers did you install the driver for your ati on board graphics if so you must remove them

tewbad

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Yes I removed the ATI graphics, yes my current drivers are up to date. By freezing I mean screen freezes, audio loops and 5 to 20 seconds later, the issue resolves until the next time (usually in another 5 to 30 seconds). Changing the settings swifty suggested has made a noticeable difference, but maybe only improved the play to 30 seconds between lags.

And after you loaded the game, you went into the games console and played with the settings ( turned them down ) and if vsync is on, turn it off. Try turning of AA/AF or set to lowest possible settings.

you may also try leaving the side of the case of. you may be getting some heat issues...... ??????????

tewbad

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
I have a 200mm fan in the side of the case and 120mm in front and back. Playing in a window with temps displayed show nothing above 50C. The only other thing that consistently happens is that CPU 1 is at 100% load and CPU 2 is at like 3%. From what I understand the Source engine doesn't support multiple cores, but does this mean that my GPU isn't handling (can't handle) enough of the graphics load??

Yeah, I think the problem is you're running an 8500GT :lol: . Try lowering the game settings. Make sure that the onboard video is disabled in the BIOS. Try a different driver version other than the one that came on the CD included with your video card.