Computer wont turn on

Fleetwood

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I bought my computer from cyberpower in 2005 and has been running great. It started about 2 month ago, when id turn my comp on it would sound rough, the sound got louder as time passed. the sound was like a sharp screach. anyway, the comp would powering off out of no where after being on it several hours, that also got worse to the point that it wouldnt stay on for a minute and eventually wouldnt turn on at all. I figured it was the power supply unit and bought a new one, installed It (yes all connection are connected) and still the same problem, it wont turn on. For some funny reason if i hold the the power button on the case down for several seconds and let go the comp powers on for about .5 to 1 second and turn off. The red light on the motherboard is on. Im not an expert on comps so please someone help me out

Specs are:
aspire x cruiser tower
nforce sli edition mother board
4g ddr ram
amd athlon 64x2 3800
nvidia geforce 7900 gtx
apevia 680w psu
maxtor ata
window xp

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Im guessing that you've never cleaned out your fans and heatsinks at which case the screeching you've heard could have been your CPU's fan getting more and more clogged until it eventually stopped working.

It would explain the random shutdowns (overheating) and eventually not turning on at all (burnt out). Though that's just a theory.

Fleetwood

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

I atleast know to clean it out every once and a while and it never got dusty inside to point my fans where covered in it to make them stop working. I highly doubt the cpu burned up. Is there any simple way to diagnose it though?

When it turns on for that .5 to 1 second everything beggins to run, all lights and fans turn on (fans spin). Ill try it w out my extra fans and see what happens.

Thanks for the quick replies fellas.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
sound like the psu died from not cleaning - the fan was going and the psu burned up. maybe holding the power switch pushed it through a self check
???
could be hdd
or even sound card

do the usual dance

unplug all the perif's - hdd cd dvd etc
try turning on just the cpu and ram - if you need the gpu leave it too

pull the cards too accpeth the gpu

no power swap the gpu
no power?

powers up - then plug in perifs one at a time and power up find the bad one
probably the psu

Fleetwood

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

Wow thanks i unplugged the harddrive and it turned right on but the i got some smoke and burned smell out of my gpu. I quickly unplugged it. Plugged it back in and now the fan doesnt spin on the gpu.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
gpu fried. :lol: i would say the psu is to blame... i would get a new psu and graphics card before you blow anything else up :/

Fleetwood

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

I just installed this psu. Its brand new