Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Does it worth waiting for Nehalem?

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 14, 2008 3:49:31 PM

Hi folks!

Im planning to build a new rig soon. Im in the dilemma: to wait or not to wait for X58 and Nehalem? I read intel is planning to release only the high performance processors first (around october) then move to the mainstream processors(Q1-Q2 2009). Im currently without a system,cause i sold the old one completly. Im expecting that with the release of the X58 prices will drop. I wont buy the X58 immediately, but planning to buy one of the better X48 mobos.

Im thinking of buying:

ASUS Rampage Formula
Q9550
ASUS Silent Knight II
2x2GB Corsair Dominator
Shappire Radeon 4870
Thermaltake Armor 6000 series
Corsair 750W PSU

Shall i buy it now? Or buy one of the "cheaper" nehalem config?
Also what does Quad CrossfireX means? I can use 4 radeons each with 1 GPU or 2 radeons with 2x2 GPUs?

More about : worth waiting nehalem

September 14, 2008 4:06:11 PM

That system you have picked out looks like a fine machine :) 

On the note of Nehalem I would honestly wait a bit for the bugs to shake out (if there are any) and more performance mobo's to hit.

Wait or do not wait.... One gets you a kick ass system that will last you a long time the other gets you a kick ass system that will last you even longer but with possible bugs.

I would flip a coin :p  lol
September 14, 2008 4:13:09 PM

JonathanDeane said:
That system you have picked out looks like a fine machine :) 

On the note of Nehalem I would honestly wait a bit for the bugs to shake out (if there are any) and more performance mobo's to hit.

Wait or do not wait.... One gets you a kick ass system that will last you a long time the other gets you a kick ass system that will last you even longer but with possible bugs.

I would flip a coin :p  lol


LOL, im exatly in this dilemma : buy the X58 config with possible bugs (eg. driver problems...) or buy X48 just after X58 hits the shelves (lower prices). Or buy X48 now? Maybe there will be only a little drop in prices... :lol: 
Related resources
September 14, 2008 4:35:10 PM

Intel will be releasing MainStream Processors this Month with availability next month. ( $284 Trace Price for the 2.66Mhz model which should match a current Quad Core at 3.2Ghz.)

Now, The Nehalem boards will give top notch performance, but don't expecgt it to be the best bang for your buck. Mostly due to the requirement for DDR3 as well as the initial mobos are expected to be the high-end ones.

Quad Support at this point is with 2 Dual ATIs.
However, I would think long and hard before tossing two 4870x2 in a single box.

Heat/Noise may offset benchmark gains which may likely not effect real usage. And the PSU would be borderline for that setup. If it claims to support Quad ATI, that would likely be with dual 3870x2, which would be silly at this point.
September 14, 2008 4:47:45 PM

Allright. If i wait for X58 to be released how much will the price of the rampage formula be dropped? :) (and other X48 mobos) Currently it is around 250$. I figured if i wait a little more i can build a much better budget PC. :) 
September 14, 2008 4:49:59 PM

I would not expect big price drops.
September 14, 2008 4:58:17 PM

hmmm, but if the rampage extreme(x48&ddr3) is around 400$, the x58&ddr3 will be 500$+??? Hell i wont buy any of those mobos ...
September 14, 2008 5:26:53 PM

i vote fore stability plus you will get a better bang fore your buck.
eventually the prices will drop fore this build and sheer if you want to wait that long but it will most likely take a couple months
September 14, 2008 5:57:41 PM

They've had working X58 motherboards for 4-5 months now, i'd be surprised if they hadn't worked out some/most of the bugs and started work on mainstream priced motherboards. I wouldn't be surprised to hear more news at the IDF in S.F. next weekend.
September 14, 2008 6:32:47 PM

only in public will the problems become eventual...When i bought 680SLI mobo it was bugged like hell. So probaby i will buy X48. Not to mention the big price of the DDR3 rams.
September 14, 2008 6:38:31 PM

I have been planning on doing a new build for a few months now, and for awhile the Nehalm seemed to show some promise of making me wait for their release.

While it would seem like the best thing for "future proofing," you will have to consider, as mentioned, the price of getting the cutting edge releases. Bugs if nothing else.

For all we know it could be months until the best third party support is available and everything is running smooth.

I have also found it's bad to get yourself into the idea of finding the best deal while trying to get the latest equipment.... "Well if I wait a few more weeks then maybe DDR3 will drop in price," in the meantime you may hear of another release that you're interested in waiting on.

Before you know it, it's a year later and you're in the same boat thinking about "buying now or waiting for the new release."

I say that your setup looks nice enough as it is, and the longevity you might gain is like adding an extra year onto a 5 year lifespan... Go for the current setup.
September 14, 2008 6:46:21 PM

Nehalem will probably not be worth it for games unless your game is FSX, supreme commander, or a game that is optimized for more than two cores.
If you need a quad for heavy cpu intensive multitasking, then it definitely is worth the wait.

I think you would be better off with a E8500, and a basix P45 mobo. Top tier motherboards give you marginal increases in performance over their basic counterparts, and are very much not a good value.

I expect X58 motherboards to be in the $300 range, just like the premium X48 boards. DDR3 prices are coming down, and that is good. I don't think that core 2 duo prices will change, since there will be no direct competition. Prices of 2.4ghz and higher quads are the only thing that will decline.
September 14, 2008 7:13:07 PM

Yeah that motherboard and CPU should drop in price once Nehalem comes out. The price drop won't be that big though until the mid-range stuff comes out but it should still be significant. I'd say wait if you can.
September 14, 2008 7:19:46 PM

If you don't need computer now, why to buy one... There is very little reason to wait, if you need machine and very little reason to buy now, if you don't need it.

I supose you need one quite quicly... so...
Nehalem vs Core2 is about making it better in server aplications. If you run Apache server, it may be wíse to wait for nehalem, or if you use programs that can really use 4 or more cores, it's allso valid. For gaming you get better bang for the buck (at leat for a while) with Core2. IMHO
September 14, 2008 7:27:59 PM

For gaming of current and the near-moderate future titles Nehalem isn't worth waiting for. But we're enthusiasts, when have we ever been sensible? :D 
September 14, 2008 7:37:43 PM

Allright, allright. BUT if i buy a Q9550 it should be enough for upcoming games that WILL use 4 or more cores :) . I know it will be some time. I think with the release of the MAINSTREAM i7 processors will the current Q9xxx series drop in price.

The only problem is that i dunno when these i7 chips hit the shelves so that i can run for the Q9550 with less price. I read that intel will release them this year october, and even this year septemper, but still NOTHING happened, even it is the 14th of sept.

This waiting drives me mad .:) .:) 
September 14, 2008 7:48:57 PM

Well Intel won't be selling any Core i7s if they don't drop the price of the 45nm quads (to make room). Duals are still good (and OC higher and easier). It's very possible to survive on Core2 solutions only until 32nm Westmere replaces nehalem. It's going to be quite a while before 45nm Wolfdales become inadequate gaming CPUs (and that's without factoring overclocking to 3.8GHz which most of them do).
September 14, 2008 9:43:51 PM

If you wait for Core i7, you might as well wait for GT206 & GT212, because it's the only processor going to be able to take full advantage.
September 14, 2008 11:06:29 PM

The new Nahalem will have a new socket so unless they make X48 boards with the new socket you'll have to go with a X58.
September 15, 2008 10:07:59 AM

I just afraid that if i buy a Q9550 now, i buy it for 60$ more. If i wait a lil more i can get it for less.
September 15, 2008 1:52:57 PM

To whoever thumbed down my frank and truthful post, you suck.
September 15, 2008 2:04:36 PM

modtech said:
Well Intel won't be selling any Core i7s if they don't drop the price of the 45nm quads (to make room). Duals are still good (and OC higher and easier). It's very possible to survive on Core2 solutions only until 32nm Westmere replaces nehalem. It's going to be quite a while before 45nm Wolfdales become inadequate gaming CPUs (and that's without factoring overclocking to 3.8GHz which most of them do).


Maybe the poster does not just want to "survive" right now, but actually wants a quad core.
Maybe he actually read the long threads about duals-vs-quads.
The ones where the Quads Clock nearly as high so the difference in non-quad optimized apps is small but in quad optmized apps its great?

Maybe he knows more and more such apps are becoming available?

And Perhaps he may be interested in a quad-core that is about 20% faster clock for clock than current generation Intel Chips so it should even be able to beat current Duals in non-quad optimized apps.

Yes, there are cost factors and neither a quad nor a Nehalem will be right for all.

If you read the forums, you will see there are lots of folks who opt for the Q9450 now and with the Nehalem being released at nearly the same tray price but with a 20% performance boost, I don't see where you determine its not a good seller.

Maybe folks are thumbing down your broad brush statement against quad-core CPUs.
September 15, 2008 3:00:35 PM

I have nothing against quads or nehalem. At the absolute worst you can upgrade a DDR2 775 rig with a Yorkfield. There's no way they'll be going for the same price, it's simply not possible. The 20% performance boost you seem to have stuck to your tongue doesn't translate to gaming performance. At best we'll see our core 2 quads being properly utilized by next year.
September 15, 2008 3:11:37 PM

modtech said:
Well Intel won't be selling any Core i7s if they don't drop the price of the 45nm quads (to make room). Duals are still good (and OC higher and easier). It's very possible to survive on Core2 solutions only until 32nm Westmere replaces nehalem. It's going to be quite a while before 45nm Wolfdales become inadequate gaming CPUs (and that's without factoring overclocking to 3.8GHz which most of them do).


Economics 101 should say that Intel won't be selling any 45nm parts(not I7) if they don't lower the 45nm parts price. If the new quads are 20% better, clock for clock, they should command a premium, not a reduction. But, because of the cost of a new X58 motherboard, and DDR3 ram, value oriented buyers may opt to stay with the older parts for a while.

The part about duo's being viable for some time, is, I believe correct.
September 15, 2008 3:50:34 PM

Yeah, i think i stay with x48 then i will upgrade my rig late next year.I think better ddr3 is too expensive yet. Hmmm i will reconsider buying a dual core or quad core CPU.
And yes, i also read a lot on this matter.

Anyway thanks for the heads up.
!