Freezing problem w/ new computer

tankcommander4

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Hey guys,

I just built my new computer (not my first), and I am now having a problem where my computer freezes every once in a while.

The build consists of this:

E8500 3.16GHz Processor - Stock Heatsink and fan
EVGA 680i Motherboard - Completely updated BIOS
XFX GeForce 9800 GTX Graphics Card
OCZ PC6400 DDR2 2 Gb RAM (2x1GB)
Seagate 250 GB Hard drive
Seagate 500 GB Hard drive
Power Up 800W power supply

The computer runs w/ the CPU at 49 C to 54 C.

I have run virus/spyware scans, and there is nothing present.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Andy

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
That is the 2nd post I read today that mentioned high idle temps on C2D. That Wolfdale should idle aroun 30C max. Unless you're in a warm environ. I'd check the cpu hsf.

What OS & security software? Can you reproduce the freezing in other OS like a live Linux distro? Or even DOS? The reason I ask is I suspect it's software-related.

tankcommander4

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Ok, first thing. I mis-posted the temps. It was 39 to 44. Second, I use ESET NOD32 Antivirus, which is what the business I work for uses.

I run Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit. I havent tried it on any other os either.

Well, the PSU is quite poor.

Please download RealTemp, kill any unneeded programs, and report the idle temps for both cores.

Next download Prime95. Run RealTemp and Prime95 and report what the maximum temps are.

What do you mean by "freezes?" Do you mean a hard lock that needs a manual reboot, or do you mean a pause that the computer recovers from on it's own?

tankcommander4

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Ok, I looked at the different settings in BIOS and my memory was taking 1.85v of power. I bumped it up to 2v and that seems to have fixed it. Thanks very much for all the help.

TRENDING THREADS