another temp thread e8400 90c

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Ok, I was playing crysis for about 20 minuets, then decided to exit out and check my temp because it has been very high lately and this happened all of a sudden. So I open up core temp and what do ya know it says 90 degrees and I am like Holy ****. I do not remember it ever going above 50 before on heavy load.

Am I getting an accurate report here? Is my thermometer malfunctioning? This just seems so freaking high, I could almost boil water on that thing and I got no slow down in crysis what so ever.

I have heard of a program that can test my CPU under load, maybe I should try that. What do you guys recommend? Its freaking me out, I do not want to melt my computer, but it usually shuts off when it gets too hot, and I seem to be running very stable. Again, crysis.

Any advice or wisdom greatly appreciated!

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

So in other words it has shut down before because of overheating?

That's a sign that you need to correct something with your configuration/setup, not just let it go and assume that it will always shut down before any damage occurs. You're going to burn out your processor that way.

Your heatsink may not be seated properly on the CPU. You need to check this, and either re-seat it, or consider buying an aftermarket cooler.

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008

Should have been more specific. One time my heat sink was loose thus not doing its job and it shut down. I have not OCed and all of a sudden its running very hot. I put some new thermal paste on today and that helped a lot, it was actually shutting down before I did that because it was overheating.

I guess I will try a new cooler and see if that helps, if not I will have to contact intel or something.