deleting the old windows directory?

September 7, 2005 7:36:11 PM

OS: WindowsXP - home edition. i have tranferred all files from an old disk
to my new S-ATA disk. May I delete the windows directory from the old disk
without any repercussions?
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 7:36:12 PM

In news:o AZ$dE7sFHA.3252@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
or <oeivinr@online.no> typed:

> OS: WindowsXP - home edition. i have tranferred all files from
> an
> old disk to my new S-ATA disk. May I delete the windows
> directory
> from the old disk without any repercussions?

What do you mean by "i have tranferred"? How did you do this? Are
you now booting from the the new SATA drive?

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 8:46:38 PM

if you install a new copy of windows on the new disk. and if you believe
that your personal datas are in safe. you can...

--
Cankat Akdemir
Author of "Windows XP Secrets"

"or" <oeivinr@online.no>, haber iletisinde þunlarý
yazdý:o AZ$dE7sFHA.3252@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> OS: WindowsXP - home edition. i have tranferred all files from an old
> disk to my new S-ATA disk. May I delete the windows directory from the
> old disk without any repercussions?

September 7, 2005 10:00:11 PM

"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> skrev i melding
news:o obZnF8sFHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> In news:o AZ$dE7sFHA.3252@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> or <oeivinr@online.no> typed:
>
>> OS: WindowsXP - home edition. i have tranferred all files from an
>> old disk to my new S-ATA disk. May I delete the windows directory
>> from the old disk without any repercussions?
>

> What do you mean by "i have tranferred"? How did you do this? Are you now
> booting from the the new SATA drive?

yes, booting from the SATA disk. i didn't move the files. the computer firm
did. the file contents of the old disk are now placed in a directory on the
SATA disk called: "Old disk."

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 10:00:12 PM

In news:o KngAV8sFHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
or <oeivinr@online.no> typed:

> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> skrev i melding
> news:o obZnF8sFHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> In news:o AZ$dE7sFHA.3252@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> or <oeivinr@online.no> typed:
>>
>>> OS: WindowsXP - home edition. i have tranferred all files
>>> from an
>>> old disk to my new S-ATA disk. May I delete the windows
>>> directory
>>> from the old disk without any repercussions?
>>

>> What do you mean by "i have tranferred"? How did you do this?
>> Are
>> you now booting from the the new SATA drive?
>
> yes, booting from the SATA disk. i didn't move the files. the
> computer firm did. the file contents of the old disk are now
> placed
> in a directory on the SATA disk called: "Old disk."

If you are booting from the new drive, and you are convinced that
the transfer was done successfully, then you can delete
everything from the old one.

or wrote:

> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> skrev i melding
> news:o obZnF8sFHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> In news:o AZ$dE7sFHA.3252@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> or <oeivinr@online.no> typed:
>>
>>> OS: WindowsXP - home edition. i have tranferred all files from an
>>> old disk to my new S-ATA disk. May I delete the windows directory
>>> from the old disk without any repercussions?
>>

>> What do you mean by "i have tranferred"? How did you do this? Are you
>> now booting from the the new SATA drive?
>
> yes, booting from the SATA disk. i didn't move the files. the computer
> firm did. the file contents of the old disk are now placed in a
> directory on the SATA disk called: "Old disk."

That makes things clearer. The computer firm just copied everything from
your old drive to that "Old disk" folder so they didn't have to pick
through and find your data. Copy whatever data files, favorites,
addressbooks, etc. you want and put them in your new Windows
installation. You can't copy programs; those will need to be
reinstalled in your new Windows. After you are quite sure you have all
the data, you can delete the "Old disk" files and folder.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com