Ongoing P5K-E boot problems Asus don't help

m9x3mos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Hello everyone,
I am really hoping that someone will be able to help out with this problem. I have a P5K-E Wifi board from Asus that I have been having problems with the board and Asus since September of 2008 with and have had nothing fixed and even more problems have been made now.

First to start of the initial problem that I was having is that the board would intermittently not power on, and is seemingly spermatic when this problem will occur. It would just get power, the lights would come on and all the fans would spin but no video at all. Turn off and back on and still would not power on. You would actually need to remove the power plug and put back and would then boot fine. Initially the problem would only happen once in a blue moon about once in a week or two. And the problem seems to have gotten worse. With the first board it would seem that even if I left the PC turned off for an hour or two it would have the problem. After pulling the power cable and then starting the computer it would tell me over clocking failed, even though the board has not been over clocked at all. Load defaults and all would be right in the world again for a while.

Here are the components that I have been using in the computer:
Intel Q6600 G0 stepping quad core Model BX80562Q6600 – Retail
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM
Antec earthwatts EA430 430W ATX12V
EVGA 256-P2-N762-TR GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB
At some point trying to resolve this issue all of the components have been replaced with something else. I have tried figure out the problem because that I thought it was just a bad component for the longest time. I have tried four other sets of ram from two other manufacturers other then Corsair, two other geforce cards and two ati cards, a thermaltake and another antec power supply also a seagate hard drive and a wd4000aajs 400gb sata I have also tried using a E6300 and a Q6600 B3 stepping and they have all seemed to have the same problem. I just that since it is intermitant it does take a little while to replicate the issue.

So I did want any other consumer would do no adays when they are having a problem with a product, call the manufacturer. So I hit up asus and spent some time with the trying to barebones troubleshoot again since it was an intermittent problem hard to replicate and after going thru everything and not being able to get a resolution got oked for a RMA. So I paid UPS to have the board sent back to asus and they had the board for about 2 weeks and I got the board back and figured AWSOME time to get back to my gaming especially that Wrath of lich king came out and need to get my game on.

Hooked up the system again with the original components had for the first time it powered up fine. Installed the game and rebooted problem happened again. Figuring that it might have been a fluke, I used the board for a while and it was still having the same problem. So I looking over the paperwork that came back says problem resolved. Called asus since was still happening, they suggested the barebones testing again. I stated that since is a intermitant problem is hard to do then and I again relayed all the components that were switched into the board and even tested these components in a different board with no issues at all. Updated to the newest bios again and tried downgrading to the original and still happening upgraded back to the newest as all was recommended by their own tech support again. Problem continued to happen, now in the beginning of November the board was yet again sent back to asus.

Now I get another board back from the company with a checklist showing that everything is correct and there have been no problems found with it. Figured ok and just looking over the board the cooling fines on the heat piping were all bent up and had to fix that while fixing the above I also noticed that there was a different serial, and again since there was no other data supplied with the replacement that they had found some problem with the board that I sent in.

After hooking up this board I have found that not only does it have the same problem as my first one but new ones as well. What I first noticed, while I don’t think the cause of any of the problems, the slots for the memory and pci-e are all very loose. Not like a new board when you put in a card you could do it with no effort at all. Literally you problem could push the card in with the fingernail of your small toe it was that easy. But when I first tried to start it I got no video. Used the clrtc jumper and was able to get that wonderful screen for overclocking fail and used f1 to load defaults. And then yet again no video. Did the clear jumper again and manually program the bios by just opening and making sure all voltages were correct (I did not have to make any changes was correct) and then system was able to post. After rebooting the computer for a few times was back and the same problem again. No matter what I did I was unable to resolve this so I yet again promptly called asus back and bounced between a few techs and finally was able to get in touch with a tier 3 tech like 3 days later for the issue since would be the third time RMA no regular tech would handle it since of how many that there were. Spoke with a tech who thought it was a bio problem reflashed bios successfully but with no resolution again and had yet another RMA issued to a tech by the name of mason. The board has now been with Asus since 12/4/2008 and with no resolution even after calling and complaining they either don’t know where the board is or is still be worked on. Finally was once able to be transferred to the tech working on it and says even using the same equipment that I provided the list for was unable to replicate the problem and was going to get the same board back. After complaining a little about the issue I had asked about what processor he was using as a test he then stated it was a Pentium 4. In what way a Pentium 4 is equivalent to a q6600 is beyond me. Since then I have used a spare Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P and have had not problems with it and it seems that all asus will do is to keep sending defective products and won’t even test them like they promised and wont resolve the issue. What are the options that I have to have asus get me out of the problematic p35 boards that they have been making into something that I can actually use like what I paid for. If you go to any of the forums like here at tomshardware.com for the motherboards there are lots of people having the same problem with no resolution at all that works. And not to mentioin from the other 5 forums that I found. So please what can I do to get a different maybe p45 board from asus or sell this one to someone who can handle asus and buy a new one?

enytaz

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
With alll that you stated above why you just never get a next mobo?

Im using the same mobo ! Im not having any problem ..... just get asus to give u a new mobo simple...