Sign in with
Your question

CPU Overclocking = more cooling?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 15, 2009 12:48:18 AM

Hi there

And I`ve been investigating and some forums say that Overclocking requires enough cooling to my processor, is it completely correct?

If so, I was wondering what is the general power (Watt) in a cooler that comes with the processor?

The main issue when buying a cooler are its Watts and the socket, right?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2009 1:20:05 AM

you are partially correct. Overclocking will require you to cool your processor more, so you cant use the stock cooler, you need an after market cooler. I don't really understand what you are talking about next, but i assume it is TDP. That is just how much power the processor takes up, and also contributes to how hot it gets. The main issue when buying a cooler is socket compatibility, and its actual cooling power, like for air how high is the CFM is. Hope that helped :) 
a c 86 K Overclocking
December 15, 2009 1:23:18 AM

Umm yes. A stock cooler is designed to remove the heat well enough and allow the heatsink to be cheaply made, keeping the basic users cost down.

If you overclock you increase the cycles per second and usually have to increase the voltage to the CPU. This generates more heat. And your not a basic user anymore either.

Meaning the stock cooler isn't good enough and the processor will overheat.

There are TONS of good coolers out there and simple software we use to check temps and check stability of overclocks. Too high and they are prone to error.

Our fav place to send people and a very trusted site for cooler reviews. You might want to read up on your terminology and what it's all about.

http://www.frostytech.com/
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2009 1:40:14 AM

There's a bit of a misunderstanding. You've got part of it correct.

The cpu heatsink (cooler) itself does not use any power. It is not a powered device. However, the heatsink typically has a fan, sometimes 2 fans, attached to it. The fan does not use very much power. For example, the fans that come with the Coolermaster V8 cpu heatsinks are 12 volt fans that use about 3.84 watts on average. That is insignificant compared to the cpu or the video card.

Wattage isn't even a remote issue with cpu heatsink (cooler) fans.

The type of cpu socket is an issue. The heatsink bracket must match the cpu socket. For example, you cannot install a heatsink bracket designed for an AMD cpu onto an Intel motherboard which has a completely different type of socket. Taking it a step further, you cannot install a heatsink bracket designed for an Intel Core2 Quad cpu onto a motherboard for an Intel Core i7 LGA 1336 socket. They are not compatible. make sure the cpu heatsink is compatible with your cpu.

Sometimes cpu heatsinks come with several brackets for different cpu's. Sometimes you can purchase different bracket for specific cpu sockets.
December 15, 2009 6:32:53 AM

Well then, I know that my processor has a 775 socket.

Taking this idea just from the beggining, when I buy a new heatsink, whitch of its features should I pay atention to?

Watts?

Watts mean cooling power in this case?
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2009 11:15:03 AM

Here is a link to a very good web site with a lot of useful information about cpu heatsinks:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

Check out the technical reviews for your possible heatsinks. You can also use the Google embedded search feature to find more information about heatsinks.

a c 86 K Overclocking
December 15, 2009 1:11:30 PM

Watts has a LOT to do with it. It's the heat the CPU generates when working. Watts is heat in one measurement. The case only holds stuff and creats airflow to move the hot air from the front out on the back by fans.

The fine link we have gave you at Frosty tests at two levels using a heat generator. 75 and 150 watts. It's always best to compare at 150 watts. Pick a top heatsink for yout 775 socket, your done.
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2009 2:54:35 PM

Conumdrum - You are absolutely, positively 100% correct. The cpu does generate heat and different cpu's generate different amounts of heat. The amount of heat also varies depending on the load. I fully understand that cpu's have different wattage ratings in their specifications. No problem there.

I took the OP's comments and questions at face value. As such the cpu heatsink itself is not powered and there is no voltage, wattage, or current (amps). The only component in a cpu heatsink that is powered is the fan. That's why I answered the way I did. I guess it is a matter of interpretation.

!