Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Dell Studio Xps
  • Dimension
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
December 5, 2008 11:02:32 AM

Ok first hi and thanks for all the people that has help me here directly or indirectly through this forums, this place is a gold mine of knowledge.

Anyway me and my brother got a plan of buying an nividia gtx 260 plus in the near future but to do that we needed a new psu for the dell xps 400/dimension 9150 computer that we currently have(yeah I know DELL but well its my first pc and with it I learned not to buy DELL again, next time Ill build it completely)so we went a do some research on what psu was affordable with good quality in mind and we ended up buying the ANTEC EW 650.Now my "problem" is that I don't know if its mounted correctly or not(my brother keeps telling me that it is, that it doesn't really matter but I am not 100% sure) this is what its bothering me:

Everywhere I see that the psu shows the fan in the upper part and thats how I supposed it should be mounted

http://www.antec.com/usa/productDetails.php?id=27650&la...

but we couldn't do that because then the fan wouldn't be able to expulse the heat correctly(no room for it) or absorb air to it(don't really know if its bringing air inside the psu or if its expulsing it....thats another question) anyway I followed my brothers advice and a friend that has a lot of experience on building pcs and we went and put it anyway, like this:

My question is, is this alright? wont the psu fail or something? and what do you suggest?

Anyway whatever real knowledge you decide to share with me would be highly appreciated.

More about : antec 650 psu dell xps 400 dimension 9150

a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2008 11:47:44 AM

That's exactly where it should be.
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 5, 2008 12:04:26 PM

If you're worried about it falling you could use a couple of zip ties to hang it of the brackets on the case, but it's not really neccessary
Related resources
December 5, 2008 8:08:46 PM

Ok thats what a I wanted to hear, honestly thanks for helping me out here.

and DellUser1 nice mods you did there.....
December 9, 2008 7:17:07 PM

Wow, this forums is a veritable font of knowledge. I wanted to ask the exact same question as the OP, the only difference being that I'm thinking of upgrading my 7800GTX to a 1GB 9800GTX.

Obviously, I'll have to buy a new PSU - preferably a 650W one similar to the one pictured and was wondering whether it'll fit inside my Dell Dimension 9150.

Thanks for providing the answer without me even asking. LOL.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2009 1:23:12 AM

delluser1 said:
If you're worried about it falling you could use a couple of zip ties to hang it of the brackets on the case, but it's not really neccessary
http://contrvlr.no-ip.org:12300/ussdirect/cb/IMG_0526.JPG

In the picture your using some fans on the back and door of the case i was wondering what kind you were using
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 29, 2009 2:24:22 AM

Quote:
In the picture your using some fans on the back and door of the case i was wondering what kind you were using

The 2 on the back were Cooler-master 80mm's , the side fan is an Antec 80mm Tri-cool.
March 29, 2010 9:41:38 PM

delluser1 said:
http://contrvlr.no-ip.org:12300/ussdirect/cb/IMG_0526.JPG

Hey delluser1,

I like what you did with your dell xps 400, I had a question regarding your mod. I have a dell xps 400 too, and I want to put to 80mm case fans in the back like you did for exhaust. What else would I need to buy to connect the fans to the psu? Basically, can you tell me what you did to mount and connect those 2 80mm case fans. I will buy the same 2 cooler master 80mm case fans like you did, so what else would I need? Can I connect to the 4pin molex connector's on the power supply directly? or do I need some kind of adapter? Btw, I'm not going to mod my comp case like you did to show the fans, so I just need to know how to mounted and connected the case fans. Thank you so much.

This is my power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 243 ) Power supply
March 30, 2010 12:45:36 PM

Just use the screws that are provided with the fans to attatch them to the grill.
Most fans come with 3 pin to 4 pin adapters, if not you'll need to purchase a couple.
!