Radeon HD 4850 from Palit makes some kind of high-pitch clicking hum.

mathiasschnell

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
I'm not quite sure how to describe this noise, but it's like some kind've high-pitched hum that the card makes whenever I start playing any games. Never happens when doing normal stuff. I had just installed this card and a new power supply today after coming in the mail. Here's the parts...

Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-261-027

Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

I'm not sure what to make of the noise. At first I thought it may be the fan having some problems when speeding up, but seeing how at boot-up the fan goes off at full speed, but doesn't make this noise, that kinda rules it out. It isn't like the noise itself seems to be a huge problem, though, as everything works as intended (the card chews through every game I have at max settings 1920x1200 no sweat). So... I really don't know if I should be worried or not.

For now I'm going to reinstall Catalyst 8.9 package and switch the PCI-E connector currently in it for the other one on the supply and see if that does anything. If that don't work, then I'm stumped and I guess I hope the card isn't defective in some way. Doesn't seem to be, from what I can tell, but I am kinda worried.

I've tried both the included driver package and the latest Catalyst 8.9 package, card makes the noise either way. I've also tried downloading and using ATItool, Radeon Bios Editor, and CCC to try for any fan controls, but CCC has none, RBE won't run and ATItool freezes up. I'm not even sure you really can control the fan on this because I've heard from a NewEgg review that Palit omitted that kind of control of the fan due to its design.

And if it helps here's the rest of my specs

OS____Windows XP Home SP3
CPU___AMD Athlon X2 3800+ / 2.8GHz
HSF___Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
Mobo__GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3
RAM___A-DATA Extreme, 2GB, DDR2 800 / 4-4-4-12
HDD___Western Digital Caviar 250GB
Case__Antec Nine Hundred

The noise is most likely caused by coils in the power system on the card. This does not happen on all cards, but my X1900XT(never heard it with my Sonata case but the 900's open design lets the sound out) and 8800GTX(it is in the Sonata II case now so I can not hear it any more) both made a high pitched noise when gaming, the noise also varies its pitch with load.

I have also seen motherboards do the same thing.

Lucky for me my 4870 makes no noise.

I do not think you have anything to worry about.

mathiasschnell

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007

Yeah that does seem to make sense. I tried playing WoW at the most extreme and the most piddly of settings and both times the pitch of this noise varied. Strangely though, the absolutely pathetic settings made the card sound worse. Go figure. Well, thanks for that, I guess I can rest easy now.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
That sounds to be the case (coils). If you are not happy about it i suggest you contact Palit and ask for a replacement or a refund.

I have stated in the past that i am not getting a Palit again (i only bought a Palit VGA once) and i am not getting another one because of their unique designs that do not allow for any overclocks or mods. As a basic product they are not bad, but for overclockers stay away!

mathiasschnell

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007

That would explain why OC'ing caused my display to go absolutely coo-coo twice.

Also I think the noise dissipates after a few minutes of playing, so for prolonged play I think it's ok.