StrongWinds

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I have a Thermaltake M9 case, (2 120mm fans) and the system runs hot.
I have a XFX HD Radeon 4770 that I would like to get more cooling for, as well as a Athlon X4.
so my questions are.
1.what are good fan manufacturers
2. specs on fans. (size, etc)
3. Do I need a non stock cooler for my CPU/GPU?
4. I was considering adding another 120mm fan on the side, but I don't know much about cooling, would this help at all?
thank you in advance!

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
1. A lot of what would be a good manufacturer for fans for you depends on your preferences- do you want truly the best cooling available, whatever the cost/noise level? Or do you want the best cooling you can get for a reasonable price, or that are relatively quiet?
2. Again- depends on what you are looking for. Generally bigger/deeper fans are going to move more air more quietly. The higher the RPM's the louder they are going to get.
3. Yes you want a non-stock cooler for your CPU. Your GPU, generally not as important, but depends on how hot things are getting.
4. That would probably help- remember to think about which way the fan is blowing.

If you can give a little more info, it will be easier to help you. Temps, and noise desires etc.

StrongWinds

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
1. I want the best budget cooling available.
sounds is not a problem.
3. what kind of cooler should I get then?
4. on normal use I was looking at...
CPU, 84 F, GPU 86 F, Hard drive 64 F, system temp is usually about, 84 F

running Prime 95 the temps shot up to (for just 2 min or so)
Core, 110 F, GPU 90 F, over all temp (system temp?) 113 F
I think I need more cooling.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Dude- those temps are COLD for a system that is not water-cooled. 110F (43.4C) at full load for a couple of minutes? thats really really good. What kind of ambient temps are you seeing? Doesn't sound like you need anything more at all. Remember- your CPU is rated by the manufacturer up to 62C (143.6F) and your GPU is rated higher than that. You are nowhere CLOSE to running hot.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
at those kinds of temps, you really don't need it. You could if you want- its not gonna hurt anything (other than noise level and your wallet), but its not necessary.

StrongWinds

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
but a better CPU heatsink is worth it correct?
(if so, what kind do I need?)
ambient temp has gotten up 130 INSIDE the box, outside the temp is in the 60's

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
130 is starting to get a little warm, but you still don't really need to upgrade unless you are planning on Overclocking or something that is going to produce additional heat. A good cooler will set you back between $35 and $60, so it depends on if you want to spend that much. What CPU do you have? Its a little hard to suggest a new cooler without knowing what CPU you need to cool.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Its still well within the acceptable range. If its the case temp thats getting high, its probably more worth it to spend $10 on a 120mm case fan rather than $50 on a new CPU cooler.

TRENDING THREADS