Sign in with
Your question

Updating old gaming rig.

Last response: in Systems
September 15, 2008 3:06:58 AM

OK I'm looking for some advice on what to upgrade to, my PC is getting long in the tooth. It was noticeable during the WAR preview weekend. Here is my current specs;

X2 3800+ (stock)
eVGA 7800 GT CO (stock)
OCZ Platinum 2GB Ram
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
Enermax 530w PSU
2 HDD's
1 Burner

Basically looking for a CPU + MB + RAM + Vid card package that would last me 2 years till the next upgrade. Going to carry the remaining components over from this setup. Also I want to run the CPU stock, but have the option in about a year to OC to give it the longevity needed to last the final year. Looking to spend 600-700 max. Also what would be better? Going Dual core for these 2yrs or Quad? I game mostly with some video encoding on the side mainly. If it isn't possible to build a 2 year system, a 1 year system would be fine to tide me over till Nehalem prices are avaliable for a bit to see if prices come down.

The games I will be playing will be, Warhammer Online & RTS's and maybe a FPS here and there.

More about : updating gaming rig

September 15, 2008 3:52:23 AM

Ack a socket 939 board. Too bad it's not an AM2 or you'd have more upgrade options. Still I'd think that for now you could drop in a second 7800GT from ebay to SLi them and maybe overclock your CPU a bit. Well that's just what I would think of doing.

Since you're thinking of going with a new RAM CPU MB and VID and you want to be able to overclock that CPU then I would say go for an E8400, a P45 Board with 2 PCI-E slots, and a Radeon 4870. You could add a 4870 in latter to crossfire them and the E8400 overclocks well and is at a good price. If you wanted to go quad then you could go with a Q6600 but you may find yourself overclocking that sooner. I'd also recommend upgrading that PSU.

September 17, 2008 12:49:42 PM

E8400
DDR2 2X2 GB 800mhz
GA-EP35-DS3L
9800 GTX+
CORSAIR 450W

Still under budget. Look for deals.
!