Help! looking for the McGuyver of Overclocking

Oldirty

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
first things first, I LOVE this site!!!!!
And this is my first post! yay!!! *claps hands excitidly* :bounce:

My first rig ever built,

CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 2 Cores - 2 Threads
CPU PSN : Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz >>> Actually @ 3.4GHz
CPU EXT : MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 EM64T
CPUID : 6.7.A / Extended : 6.17
CPU Cache : L1 : 2 x 32 / 2 x 32 KB - L2 : 2048 KB
Core : Wolfdale (45 nm) / Stepping : R0
Core voltage: 1.2875v <From Core temps VID>
Freq : 1649.98 MHz (275 * 6) <~~~ <<<<<<<Speed step>>>>>>>> Should be 3437.35 MHz (275 * 12.5)
MB Brand : XFX
MB Model : MG-63MI-7109
NB : NVIDIA GeForce 7100 rev A2
SB : NVIDIA nForce 630i rev A2
GPU Type : ATI Radeon HD 4770
GPU Clocks : Core 250 MHz / RAM 830 MHz <~ lol my GPU core is actually 750MHz OC'ed to 830MHz
DirectX Version : 10.0
RAM : 2048 MB DDR2 Single Channel
RAM Speed : 400 MHz (11:16) @ 6-5-5-17
Slot 1 : 2048MB (6400)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Samsung

~<Don't want to stress this enough, ATM my rig is STABLE :ange: >~

Now to the bat cave!

My problem Robin.... I can call you Robin can't I?? :kaola:

So you can see my specs up there, I Over clocked stable, but I know my cpu can get more, way more on AIR, so says hundreds of people link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072

My goal is to get as close to 4GHz as possible, ok so here are my prob's that are in my way
Prob # 1 my mobo's bios does not support voltage control on my CPU, it does on my mem, and NB
Prob # 2 my mobo's bios does not support disabling speed step

Right now, FSB is @ 1100 MHz
So I can't turn the core clocks down and freq up because the speedstep being enabled, and when I turn the cpu FSB to 1150MHz it will start, just wont OCCT stable, past 1200MHz ( :pfff: ::GLARES @ 1333MHz:: :pfff: ) it wont even boot, upping the Voltage would probly fix that prob! Yay!!
Wait a sec.... thats Prob #1!!!! :fou: So you see my problem Robin??

So..... lol Any ideas?!

On a side note, on my BIOS, I went to xfxforce.com and went to my mobo's support, all my junk is regestered so it is really easy to not get confused about support files for my mobo, anyone who ownes any xfx products and had to update drivers knows that there site is nice and people friendly, and found out three updates for the bios, I tried one, burned the iso, booted it from my cd and tried to flash my bios, only to have it say: Please wait, and after like an hour and forty minutes of sweating bullets, thinking before I screw up my only cpu, I panicked and turned it off and rebooted, and thank god it didn't erase my old bios or hurt it. And I don't even know if thees revised bios even have voltage or speedstep support mind you. And I know that some bios have a flash program to help with installation of bios updates, mine does not...

To make things even more confusing!! My bios is AMI ( American Megatrends Inc.). forgot the version but I did know it at one time, when I googled that, *now I know most bios are mobo tailored but went for a long shot* it CAME UP!! I was like sweet , do they have updates?! THEY DID!! Maybe it has speedstep support?!?! No, it had Cool 'n' Quiet support.... Ok... umm... thats AMD? And on further investigation it said that my version of bios was for AMD aswell... so no glory there...

And to top it off if you google my mobo, it will pop up with a mbo that as a debug led.... mine does not, there are two versions but no matter where I go it is always faqs on that mobo.... So I am out of refrences and leads, I am self taught, and with out more reference materials I can't learn how to fix my problem, so I am seeking help from the experienced!!!

Thank you for anyone who even atleast READ this post, and a thousand thx to thoose that have an informative reply! :hello:
** In future mobo buys I am defenitly going to research the bios options now that I am a little tech savey~ Can't wait for my i7 rig! YARR!

Oldirty

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Yeah it will not run stable past 3.4, 1100 fsb, at 1150 it is just unstable 1200 no glory =( even running at a 1:1 ratio anything past 1120 is unstable. If I could just up the core voltage lol..... But yeah, you and my friend agree, atleast I got 3.4 stable :lol: lol... Thx for your reply!! :hello:

Oldirty

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Cool! Thats looks to be my only option..... I don't think I will do it, because I am on such a tight budget, if I mess up...... Be out of a cpu for a while lol... BUT! I am so going to try it after I build my i7 rig after taxes!!! Then will put knoppix or something on this cpu and make it my media p.c. Even though overclocking at that point would serve no purpose lol But will be fun to try!